• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who was "ACE"

56 posts in this topic

I live about 350 miles up the coast now in Humboldt county in the Redwood forest or what's left of the Redwood forest.

Anyone have a Top Notch Laugh 31 or 35 for sale out there?

Sounds nice, we love going up there.

Is there anything special about those two issues or are those the last ones you need? I'm not very familiar with the title but we just added 38-41 so I'm learning. It's quite a mix with Black Hood next to Woggon...

Marc

The only thing special about 31 and 35 is that they are the last two I need to complete the Top Notch run. The Black Hood story in 31 completes a two part Black Hood story. I suppose I could have stopped at Issue 27 The last true Top Notch before it became Top Notch Laugh and went downhill. Bur nooooooo, I had to keep going. They are both trash, but I need them.

I believe it is an "L" and not a check mark, however I see books with just an "L" on the front cover all the time. It's hard to say if they come from one massive "L" collection or if many different people who put an "L" on their books as kids (or perhaps some call back code for that matter!).

West

Something for the L-Pedigree. grin.gif

voodoo8.jpg

So what does the "J" mean?

"J" stood for Jim. My friend that I grew up with during my grammer school days. He would write a "J" on the cover of all his comics. So if you ever see a "J" written in pen on the cover of any early JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA, 50's/60's WORLD'S FINEST, ADVENTURE COMICS, SHOWCASE, and all kinds of DC war comics thats from Jim's old collection. Also early FF's, Hulk's, Tales of Suspense, ASM, and Marvel westerns. He gave up collecting comics during his high schools days. Gave his collection of books away to his friends, including to me. I still have a few of the books. Traded or sold most of the "J" books over the years. All those books were bought from the same store, SUPER X DRUGS in Chicago. I was usually with him when we bought our comics. The store is long gone now. I sure miss those days. frown.gif

Were most of those books bought fresh off that newstand in the late 50's and early sixties? I remember during that time period my grandfather and I would walk to the local drugstore and he would give me a dollar and I would buy 10 comics, There was another place we walked to in Oakland on east 14th street, a little market, owned by a friend of his, that had back issues piled in a big cardboard box for 3 cents each.Your're damned right you sure miss those days, I do too!

I miss the days of buying comics from the drugstores and candy shops too. I used to buy a lot of my books from Hollywood Drugstore and Sunray Pharmacy, both in Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania, near the house of my grandparents. Both of these places had incredible selections; I used to pick up the 52 page DC's and the 100 Page Super Spectaculars here, they carried 'em all. There was also a 7-11 nearby that had mostly Marvels, I got my AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #122 there. What a story that was, it made an indelible impression on my young mind. Of course all of these places are gone now, replaced with dollar stores and gas stations. frown.gif

The drugstore I went to was just called Rexall Drug Store and the second hand place was Al Milman's Market I think. I remember there was another store with second hand comics. In their box one day I saw multiple nearmint copies of Very late number Wings comics and Space Adventure with the Blue Beatle. There were also some jungle titles all in perfect shape even though they were 12 to 15 years old at the time.At that time, those books meant nothing to me as I was looking for dc and marvel and Archie.