• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rusty Staple Options
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Wondering what the options are for Rusty Staples - not so bad that it is discoloring the cover - but clearly rusty (the staples are clearly rusted, but no discolouration/bleeding to the cover - cannot tell inside because it is slabbed already). 

Am I correct that cleaning staples would be restoration?  If so, I would assume replacing them would also be Restoration?  Or would either of these get the CGC Conserved grade instead?

Would it be better just to keep the book with its Blue Universal grade and hope the staples do not further deteriorate and damage the book? OR is it pretty much guaranteed that the rust will progress and eventually damage the book?

Staple cleaning and replacement are now considered restoration---please refer to the criteria listed on the CGC Home page for more information.

There aren't too many guarantees in life, but death and taxes are a pretty safe bet.

:)

Edited by The Lions Den
Additional info added

17 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Replaced staples frequently show up with a qualified label. 

Yes, this is true. And that's the part that confuses me, because they're listed under the restoration guidelines as well. Maybe they still give the Qualified label if the book has only the staple replacement and nothing else..?  ??? 

19 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Yes, this is true. And that's the part that confuses me, because they're listed under the restoration guidelines as well. Maybe they still give the Qualified label if the book has only the staple replacement and nothing else..?  ??? 

I thought  that was only on books over Fine? Does CGC Qualify you for the lower ones too?  

15 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

I thought  that was only on books over Fine? Does CGC Qualify you for the lower ones too?  

Well, I've never submitted a book that came back Qualified, so I really can't say.

But I am trying to figure out what they do these days regarding cleaned or replaced staples. I know they used to qualify books with cleaned or replaced staples, but now they also list staple cleaning and replacement in the restoration criteria. I'm just wondering if their policy changed when they expanded the restoration guidelines or if they still do things the same way...thanks for any insight...

1 minute ago, The Lions Den said:

Well, I've never submitted a book that came back Qualified, so I really can't say.

But I am trying to figure out what they do these days regarding cleaned or replaced staples. I know they used to qualify books with cleaned or replaced staples, but now they also list staple cleaning and replacement in the restoration criteria. I'm just wondering if their policy changed when they expanded the restoration guidelines or if they still do things the same way...thanks for any insight...

I wish I knew. So many mysteries in their grading. Someone could probably write a book about it :idea:

2 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

I wish I knew. So many mysteries in their grading. Someone could probably write a book about it :idea:

Thanks for the response---I like the book idea. :bigsmile:

I can say that in the olden days, cleaned or replaced staples were always Qualified (unless the book was extremely low grade) so it wasn't viewed as restoration back then. And it appears there are very strict guidelines in order for someone to receive a Conserved label, including having the original vintage staples professionally replaced.

It looks like I'm going to have to do some more research on this...  :juggle:

1 minute ago, The Lions Den said:

Thanks for the response---I like the book idea. :bigsmile:

I can say that in the olden days, cleaned or replaced staples were always Qualified (unless the book was extremely low grade) so it wasn't viewed as restoration back then. And it appears there are very strict guidelines in order for someone to receive a Conserved label, including having the original vintage staples professionally replaced.

It looks like I'm going to have to do some more research on this...  :juggle:

Let us know what you find out!

OK. These guidelines were published on 7/1/14 and should be the most accurate representation of the current "staple standards":

If the staples have been professionally cleaned or replaced with vintage staples, it should fall under the A "Excellent" category and be assigned a number 1 in the Quantity field, so A1.

If there are enlarged staple holes, crooked staples, backward staples, or the staples are not vintage, they should fall under the B "Fine" category and assigned a number 1, so B1.

If new staple holes were created upon reinsertion, or non-comic staples were used, it should fall under the C "Poor" category and assigned a number 1, so C1. 

To achieve a Conserved label, all or any of the work must be A-1. 

So...if you wanted to have the staples replaced because they were rusty, the best course of action I can recommend would be to send it to someone who can meet the strict standards of category "A."  :hi:

3 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

OK. These guidelines were published on 7/1/14 and should be the most accurate representation of the current "staple standards":

If the staples have been professionally cleaned or replaced with vintage staples, it should fall under the A "Excellent" category and be assigned a number 1 in the Quantity field, so A1.

If there are enlarged staple holes, crooked staples, backward staples, or the staples are not vintage, they should fall under the B "Fine" category and assigned a number 1, so B1.

If new staple holes were created upon reinsertion, or non-comic staples were used, it should fall under the C "Poor" category and assigned a number 1, so C1. 

To achieve a Conserved label, all or any of the work must be A-1. 

So...if you wanted to have the staples replaced because they were rusty, the best course of action I can recommend would be to send it to someone who can meet the strict standards of category "A."  :hi:

Does it apply to all grades? I just checked my Overstreet & they use the Fine grade as the cutoff. Anything Fine & below is okay to replace. Just wondering if they follow that. Thanks for this info!

3 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Does it apply to all grades? I just checked my Overstreet & they use the Fine grade as the cutoff. Anything Fine & below is okay to replace. Just wondering if they follow that. Thanks for this info!

You're welcome. I didn't find any info about a "cutoff". I'm curious as to whether there is one, too. I'm wondering if anyone out there has received a purple label in the last 4 years which included staple replacement, or if anyone has received a green label for the same issue. (shrug)