• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General Print Run Question

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone know the print run of the Quesada variant for the new Fantastic Four #1.  i am just curious the location I found mine at only had one but had tons of the artgem and party variants but only one Quesada so just was curious what print run of these were.

No. Nobody knows the print runs for virtually anything, because Marvel, DC, and other publishers do not reveal this information.

The closest you're going to get is a store or other vendor exclusive, and they reveal that information.

Until and unless publishers decide to release this information, it's all just guess work, and you shouldn't believe anyone saying "the print run was thus and such", because they don't know, either.

I think it's safe to assume the PRINT RUN for any major publisher release is AT LEAST 1,000 copies. More is cheaper. That's just the economics of how printing works. How many of these actually get released into the wild is anyone's guess. Let's say Marvel has a 1:50 variant cover, but only a few stores order enough copies to qualify so they ship out, say, 400 copies to cover orders. This doesn't mean only 400 copies exist, it means that's how many were sold to retailers. Marvel, or more likely Diamond, will hold on the extras to cover returns or damaged items and, after some time has passed, may liquidate the rest to retailers for a nominal cost. 

So the answer, as RMA stated, is nobody knows. But it's probably not as rare as you think.

16 hours ago, MadGenius said:

I think it's safe to assume the PRINT RUN for any major publisher release is AT LEAST 1,000 copies. More is cheaper. That's just the economics of how printing works. How many of these actually get released into the wild is anyone's guess. Let's say Marvel has a 1:50 variant cover, but only a few stores order enough copies to qualify so they ship out, say, 400 copies to cover orders. This doesn't mean only 400 copies exist, it means that's how many were sold to retailers. Marvel, or more likely Diamond, will hold on the extras to cover returns or damaged items and, after some time has passed, may liquidate the rest to retailers for a nominal cost. 

So the answer, as RMA stated, is nobody knows. But it's probably not as rare as you think.

Yup, in fact Marvel just did a variant dump of some of those "rare" ones from the past couple of years.