• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're back...need some advise...please
1 1

8 posts in this topic

OK... First batch ever back from CGC. Pleased, but feel that I may have erred ... CGC rookie mistake. Good advice to newbies... hang around, ask questions and get some good advice from seasoned board members before shipping off to CGC for the first time.... I feel I pulled the trigger too soon.

I realized, even before I got the grader notes, that I probably should have had a press and clean before grading... So, is it worth having any or all of these books pressed/cleaned and resubmitted? (already in at $70 each) I was thinking of having the pressing done before resubmitting, which means having the cases cracked open and sending raw back to CGC..... thoughts? 

_MG_1079.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 4.16.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 4.16.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 4.17.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 4.17.44 PM.png

From the notes, very few of the defects seem to be the sort pressing might address. Maybe just the bends/creases referenced without mention of color break on the one 8.0. But then, what is your goal? (Assuming resale with four of same book), what's the highest upside (8.5, 9.0? Etc), what do you have in them ($70 plus acquisition cost? No need to answer publicly, just for your own algorithm in deciding, I mean) and what's the comparison between the cost of CPR and the gap between what you can realistically expect 8.0 and your projected improved grade to each realize at sale?

Thats how I'd look at it, assuming you're selling them, or selling three out of four. If they're all long term holds, I guess it's just a question of whether any visible difference made (between say a slabbed 8 and slabbed 8.5) is worth it to you when taking them out/displaying/enjoying etc.

Looks like the only possible "fixable" things on the 9.2 & 9.0 would be to have them professionally cleaned. The 8.0 without the crunch appears to be the one with the highest potential of moving up. If you were able to eliminate the light crease & light bends it would have the same defects listed as your 9.0 (except no fingerprints). That's assuming that a press doesn't add any defects. Great books btw!

13 hours ago, jokiing said:

OK... First batch ever back from CGC. Pleased, but feel that I may have erred ... CGC rookie mistake. Good advice to newbies... hang around, ask questions and get some good advice from seasoned board members before shipping off to CGC for the first time.... I feel I pulled the trigger too soon.

I realized, even before I got the grader notes, that I probably should have had a press and clean before grading... So, is it worth having any or all of these books pressed/cleaned and resubmitted? (already in at $70 each) I was thinking of having the pressing done before resubmitting, which means having the cases cracked open and sending raw back to CGC..... thoughts? 

First off, consider all the risks to the books from all the handling that will need to be done. All four of your books have staple tears. You have to be really careful with pressing books with staple tears. They can get worse. I agree with the above that the 9.0 and 9.2 will probably not benefit from a press. Finally, do not crack open the cases and send the raw books back to CGC. Keep them in the cases. This is very important, keep them in the cases ! I realize you are new at this and probably think pressing is magic but please, just stop and think about what a press can accomplish. Can it remove the staple tears ? Can it remove the soiling ? Of course not. Can it get rid of spine creases ? Maybe, maybe not. It works best for light folds that do not break color. Good luck but please think your actions through. Don't overreact. 

i would crack and press them all.  The staple tear is pretty common on that book.  Light bends, creases, soiling, fingerprints all have a great shot at being removed.  Even a half grade bump would pay for the chance of getting full grade + bumps.  Send it to someone who knows what they are doing and don't listen to the "experts" above.  

Thanks for all comments and advice.... All the little pointers really help.

...and Bob.... You can stop your Fred Sanford impression.... I say that with the utmost respect. I don't plan on doing anything rash or plan on cracking open the cases. I just needed to see what others thought and whether or not I goofed and, according to most, I did OK. If I was to press, not saying I will, I was considering someone outside of CGC and that would involve them cracking the cases..... In general, is it best to send slabbed books back to CGC for pressing instead? ..... 

Picked these books up in the early 80's when Overstreet had them valued at about $2.00 .... Unfortunately, five were all I can find from my friendly neighborhood comic shops......the fifth one with the bad water stain was talked about in another thread. Where was ebay ?.....about 15 years into the future....

6 hours ago, jokiing said:

Thanks for all comments and advice.... All the little pointers really help.

...and Bob.... You can stop your Fred Sanford impression.... I say that with the utmost respect. I don't plan on doing anything rash or plan on cracking open the cases. I just needed to see what others thought and whether or not I goofed and, according to most, I did OK. If I was to press, not saying I will, I was considering someone outside of CGC and that would involve them cracking the cases..... In general, is it best to send slabbed books back to CGC for pressing instead? ..... 

Picked these books up in the early 80's when Overstreet had them valued at about $2.00 .... Unfortunately, five were all I can find from my friendly neighborhood comic shops......the fifth one with the bad water stain was talked about in another thread. Where was ebay ?.....about 15 years into the future....

If you do crack them you should send the insert with the book so they can remove it from the census & keep it updated. $2? Nice score.

Does CGC still pay for labels?  I wouldn't send these to the pressing factory at CCS.  I would use a reputable private presser who will take time with your books and then send in to CGC.  Feel free to PM me if you want a good company.