• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman (2017)

1 post in this topic

I finally got around to screening Wonder Woman and thought it was just meh.  I don't understand all the hype.  Robin Wright and Chris Pine were both completely miscast.  Wright's a decent actress at best, but her part wasn't believable.  The blonde hair, the butchered Greek accent; even though the fight sequences were heavily choreographed her acting style did not translate well into a real warrior fighter.  Chris Pine, on the other hand, I've never been a fan of; Kirk Cameron, Hallmark Channel level acting ability though somehow he's managed a way into more mainstream productions.  The film tried to convey a serious tone, and his persona didn't mix well with everything else that was going on.  Gal Gadot was spectacular.  She's exactly how I envision Wonder Woman.  So beautiful and elegant and I found myself eyeballing her even when she wasn't saying anything.  Getting back to the choreographed fighting, I'm tired of seeing the slow-motion Matrix-style fight sequences that have been repeatedly used in other films throughout the years such as Dredd, Sherlock Holmes, Watchmen, you name it.  Is it too much to ask to bring back live action battles sequences such as the ones in Braveheart, Gladiator and The Black Panther?  Stop using the slow-motion CGI fight sequences. Then there was the copying of Ares supernatural abilities from the X-Men.  In watching that scene where Diana and Ares go head to head I thought I was watching DC/Marvel crossover with Magneto.  As bad as the DC cinematic universe has been the last two decades take note as that's as close as Disney/Fox/Marvel will ever get to co-producing a film with Warner Brothers/DC.  I also didn't like how the director wrote the part of Wonder Woman.  I've always pictured Wonder Woman in comics as someone who's omniscient and off the charts brilliant, and there were times where Wonder Woman was written as intellectually inferior in comparison to some of her male counterparts.