• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

True Believers reprints from Marvel

12 posts in this topic

This topic has come up a few times lately, so I'm going to post it here for discussion.

There are reprints of classic/key Marvel comics being sold as "TRUE BELIEVERS" reprints, which are often reusing the original covers.  It seems at least possible that many of the surprising prices we are seeing for Marvel keys (of all ages), especially in mid-grade and lower-grade condition, are a result of a new group of collectors being introduced to these books with the mindset that it is "the real thing".

Coincidence?

truebelievers_spidey.thumb.jpg.ab7ec4ac4f142f06271f2110ab835250.jpg

I notice DC is starting to do it (or maybe they have for awhile) Saw Dark Knight Returns for $1.00. I'd think that someone (even a young collector) would know previous to the TB dollar book that ASM 1 was a key. I see alot of these TB books in 9.8 with Yellow labels as a way to get Lee sig. Going price around $400.00

Edited by NoMan

10 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I notice DC is starting to do it (or maybe they have for awhile) Saw Dark Knight Returns for $1.00. I'd think that someone (even a young collector) would know previous to the TB dollar book that ASM 1 was a key. I see alot of these TB books in 9.8 with Yellow labels as a way to get Lee sig. Going price around $400.00

True, it's easy to figure out ASM #1 was a key, but why is ASM #300 different from #200 or #400?  Young collectors may not know... and what the heck is Amazing Fantasy and why does anyone care about #15? lol

27 minutes ago, valiantman said:

True, it's easy to figure out ASM #1 was a key, but why is ASM #300 different from #200 or #400?  Young collectors may not know... and what the heck is Amazing Fantasy and why does anyone care about #15? lol

my opinion is young collectors know keys prior to any TB issue revelation. Just my opinion.

the more interesting thing to me is that these sell at local comic conventions as a retail sale.

Lay them flat on a table, and as convention attendees walk by they will purchase these ( depending on which book) paying as much as $6 each. They could go to a local comic store and pay $1.

It's an interesting question.  I think the only reason I knew about key issues was because of the Marvel trading cards.  I would look on the back and the 1st appearances would be listed.  Come to think of it, that's probably exactly how I knew.  DC by comparison didn't have any trading cards (at least none that I collected) and I can tell you with certainty that I have no clue what the first appearance of Joker, Nightwing, Robin, Wonder Woman, etc are.

21 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

It's an interesting question.  I think the only reason I knew about key issues was because of the Marvel trading cards.  I would look on the back and the 1st appearances would be listed.  Come to think of it, that's probably exactly how I knew.  DC by comparison didn't have any trading cards (at least none that I collected) and I can tell you with certainty that I have no clue what the first appearance of Joker, Nightwing, Robin, Wonder Woman, etc are.

You mean right now? :whatthe:

Over the years DC has released some reprints of Action 1.  I remember the 70's release was a dead ringer and has been used by many a scam artist as the real thing.  Truth is those reprints in high grade are worth much more than the comparative time period DC drek.

Just now, ExNihilo said:

I can't even tell you the first appearance of the Batman Who Laughs.  :roflmao:

In all seriousness, I've always been more of a Marvel fan than a DC fan, so that probably plays into it as well.

Batman Who Laughs will be forgotten by Halloween, but you may be proving my point.  I remember first really understanding that Amazing Fantasy #15 was a major key when I read Overstreet Monthly in August 1993 for the Jim Shooter story.

634423.jpg

4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

BWL will be with us until at least next summer on the account of a 6 issue miniseries coming out starting in November.

https://screenrant.com/batman-who-laughs-miniseries-sdcc/

Sub-mariner has been with us since 1939, but he was definitely forgotten in the Avengers movies. :insane: