• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newsstand 9.8?

7 posts in this topic

Hi! I'm new to collecting comics and have a quick question about newsstand vs. direct editions: do 9.8 newsstands exist? The highest I've ever seen are 9.6.  Does a 9.6 newsstand typically cost more than a 9.6 direct? More specifically, I'm a big spidey fan, and have seen a bunch of different prices for various ASM 252, 298, 299, and 300s. Thanks!

16 hours ago, Lichman25 said:

Hi! I'm new to collecting comics and have a quick question about newsstand vs. direct editions: do 9.8 newsstands exist? The highest I've ever seen are 9.6.  Does a 9.6 newsstand typically cost more than a 9.6 direct? More specifically, I'm a big spidey fan, and have seen a bunch of different prices for various ASM 252, 298, 299, and 300s. Thanks!

Absolutely they exist. Check the auction sites. ComicLink, Heritage, ComicConnect. There is a subset of collectors that collect these. After a certain point, they become much more scarce. 

5 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:
16 hours ago, Lichman25 said:

Absolutely they exist. Check the auction sites. ComicLink, Heritage, ComicConnect. There is a subset of collectors that collect these. After a certain point, they become much more scarce. 

Yes they exist, but PREVIOUSLY (and still sometimes now) the difference was not noted by CGC on the slabs (or in their own files).  So they may not come up SPECIFCALLY in a search.  I think IN GENERAL, the CGC 9.8 direct cost more than a newsstand CGC 9.6, especially for the three comics you named.  There may be some exceptions for some of the later comics in some series in the recent 2000's when newsstand comics (not just the 9.8 variety) became exceedingly rare.

2 minutes ago, revat said:

Yes they exist, but PREVIOUSLY (and still sometimes now) the difference was not noted by CGC on the slabs (or in their own files).  So they may not come up SPECIFCALLY in a search.  I think IN GENERAL, the CGC 9.8 direct cost more than a newsstand CGC 9.6, especially for the three comics you named.  There may be some exceptions for some of the later comics in some series in the recent 2000's when newsstand comics (not just the 9.8 variety) became exceedingly rare.

True. I think the hot books like an ASM #238, 252 & 300 can go for a more in Newsstand 9.8 vs Direct 9.8 just because there are fewer of them. There are definitely some newsstand collection runs out there. Takes some patience I'm sure to find some of those. An ASM #301 Newstand 9.8 would be a nice find:bigsmile: