• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ol’ Tec 27 found in a Pittsburgh Attic Story

10 posts in this topic

Anyone have any updated info on this ? Todd and I tried to do some business on an old Tec key ( not this one :) and he was nice to deal with. On the other side , Eide’s is My favorite comic shop in the USA.  What was the word on the street back in 2007 ??  2018 ??

http://www.ncnewsonline.com/news/local_news/comic-find-stirs-doubts-hard-feelings/article_f7e6e951-40e5-5687-a582-67de3e4d9595.html

32 minutes ago, TheWatcher said:

Here you go, Corey. Original thread about the find (long read)

Later thread that provides a synopsis (short read)

Thanks Angelo !!Looks like I’ve got some bedtime reading tonight   Even if it was a trimmed order final you’d think you’d still want a shot at it. $100k in 2008 ?  Wonder what the going rate was for a unrestored. 

Edited by Chicago Boy

On 9/5/2018 at 6:18 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Thanks Angelo !!Looks like I’ve got some bedtime reading tonight   Even if it was a trimmed order final you’d think you’d still want a shot at it. $100k in 2008 ?  Wonder what the going rate was for a unrestored. 

I didn't make it through the miles-long thread, but I made it through a couple shorter ones.  It's a pretty intriguing story.  Here's the Cliff's Notes version, minus some of the drama, that I was able to glean from it...  

- A seller went to Eides and offered them some GA books, including 'Tec 27.  Some books were trimmed.  The 'Tec 27 had a couple married pages.

- Eides turned the seller down, ostensibly because he believed the 27 to be trimmed.

- Eides implied at some point that the books originated from known scammer Danny D.  That has not been confirmed.

- Todd bought the 'Tec 27.

- Eides claimed that Todd had been taken, because the book had been trimmed.  Todd indicated that he believed the book to be untrimmed.

- Drama ensued, and Eides embarrassed himself with accusations that were not publicly proven.

- Around the time period of the discovery, somebody slabbed a CGC 6.5 'Tec 27.  Many have speculated that it's the same copy in question.

To those who slogged through the whole bit and/or are more familiar:  Does that pretty much sum it up?  Any news since this?

I'm curious... did anybody ever get a photo (with serial #) of that 6.5 that was slabbed around that time?  Graders' notes would indicate whether it had married pages.

According to insiders, the book was never slabbed. The story just sort of disappeared. I have my suspicions what happened, but I probably shouldn't air them here.

19 minutes ago, SOTIcollector said:

I didn't make it through the miles-long thread, but I made it through a couple shorter ones.  It's a pretty intriguing story.  Here's the Cliff's Notes version, minus some of the drama, that I was able to glean from it...  

- A seller went to Eides and offered them some GA books, including 'Tec 27.  Some books were trimmed.  The 'Tec 27 had a couple married pages.

- Eides turned the seller down, ostensibly because he believed the 27 to be trimmed.

- Eides implied at some point that the books originated from known scammer Danny D.  That has not been confirmed.

- Todd bought the 'Tec 27.

- Eides claimed that Todd had been taken, because the book had been trimmed.  Todd indicated that he believed the book to be untrimmed.

- Drama ensued, and Eides embarrassed himself with accusations that were not publicly proven.

- Around the time period of the discovery, somebody slabbed a CGC 6.5 'Tec 27.  Many have speculated that it's the same copy in question.

To those who slogged through the whole bit and/or are more familiar:  Does that pretty much sum it up?  Any news since this?

I'm curious... did anybody ever get a photo (with serial #) of that 6.5 that was slabbed around that time?  Graders' notes would indicate whether it had married pages.

Eides didn't really embarrass himself, because plenty of dealers believed his story to be essentially true. 

Someone else who may have some information is Mr. Zaid, but he may not be able to reveal what he knows due to the terms of the settlement between Dupcak and his son's mother.