• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detached Cover vs Split cover

4 posts in this topic

From a grading perspective, what would be the difference in impact for a detached cover (cover loose, but whole) versus a split cover (cover split 100% down the spine with one side (usually the back) attached and the front loose?

That is a very vague question depending on what other defects the book may have.

Just by the question you have asked...

GD 2.0 may have a "detached cover" but is only allowed a "spine split of 2"" while the only grade that allows for a "complete spine split" is PR 0.5.

I have a JIM 46 with Punched Binder Holes and a Completely Split Cover that I would have graded a FN- 5.5 without the defects, however I gave the book a Grade of FR 1.0 due to the defects.

15g5ier.jpg

8wci10.jpg

294tohu.jpg

I've done some research lately and, by all indications, the highest grade obtainable from the CGC for a detached cover is VG (4.0). Traditionally, at least according to the Overstreet Price Guide, the limit for a detached cover was GD (2.0). I find this difference rather bothersome and controversial.