• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions for dealers at big cons?

11 posts in this topic

The pure cosplay photo thread of the NYCC got me thinking. DO you as a dealer worry as you see someone dressed as a giant unwieldy Transformer with his family of 4 dressed as baby transformers, one is covered in fake blood because he was ostensibly the "bloody birthed transformer" from  Transformers Part 61  stumble  to your booth and ask to see this and that and the father Transformer doesn't even have hands but some kind of Tranformer claws?? 

Edited by NoMan

18 hours ago, NoMan said:

The pure cosplay photo thread of the NYCC got me thinking. DO you as a dealer worry as you see someone dressed as a giant unwieldy Transformer with his family of 4 dressed as baby transformers, one is covered in fake blood because he was ostensibly the "bloody birthed transformer" from  Transformers Part 61  stumble  to your booth and ask to see this and that and the father Transformer doesn't even have hands but some kind of Tranformer claws?? 

that's your question?

Is your question in reference to them damaging the book, damaging the whole booth by knocking things over or stealing something into the mass of extra material?

it may be all moot since I can't think of one time I've seen a large cos-play costume in a booth but I also can only remember a few times I've seen any cos-play people ventured into a comic book booth let along ask to see a book.

24 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Is your question in reference to them damaging the book, damaging the whole booth by knocking things over or stealing something into the mass of extra material?

it may be all moot since I can't think of one time I've seen a large cos-play costume in a booth but I also can only remember a few times I've seen any cos-play people ventured into a comic book booth let along ask to see a book.

I guess not the stealing component of your question I thought of, just knocking stuff about as only a gigantic home made Optimus Prime could. 

If cosplays never venture into the comic selling area, than yeah it's a moot.Thanks for your answer. 

But now I've got another thought, the bathroom floors must be flooded with pee-pee as I'm guessing proper urinating execution is difficult if you're all dressed up in Legos X-Wing fighter. Don't even want to think about going a big number 2. 

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

I guess not the stealing component of your question I thought of, just knocking stuff about as only a gigantic home made Optimus Prime could. 

If cosplays never venture into the comic selling area, than yeah it's a moot.Thanks for your answer. 

But now I've got another thought, the bathroom floors must be flooded with pee-pee as I'm guessing proper urinating execution is difficult if you're all dressed up in Legos X-Wing fighter. Don't even want to think about going a big number 2. 

I think they have people cleaning pretty frequently, but the urinals at NYCC are generally not that horrible. Have never been in a stall.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:00 PM, NoMan said:

Questions for dealers at big cons?

How many boll weevils does it take to eat a five pound sack of flour?

Have you ever seen Cosplayers in oversized costumes and/or less than fully functioning hands browsing comic books at a show? 

Cause my answer is most Cosplayers I know and see at shows, if they've made an elaborate costumes that they've spent months and money on, are typically set on showing off their costume either in a designated space, or away from the dealer area. If they have plans to shop, they change out of their costume, or they shop on a different day. 

And in terms of bathroom breaks. Again, most of the cosplayers with elaborate outfits that are tough to get in and out of try to plan for the bathroom breaks. Either with *ahem* ways to relieve themselves while remaining in costume, or by building the costume in a way that allows them to get in and out for that purpose. If a NASCAR driver can go around in a circle for 4 hours and have a way to take care of business, a Cosplayer can walk around a con floor for a couple hours...

3 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Have you ever seen Cosplayers in oversized costumes and/or less than fully functioning hands browsing comic books at a show? 

Cause my answer is most Cosplayers I know and see at shows, if they've made an elaborate costumes that they've spent months and money on, are typically set on showing off their costume either in a designated space, or away from the dealer area. If they have plans to shop, they change out of their costume, or they shop on a different day. 

And in terms of bathroom breaks. Again, most of the cosplayers with elaborate outfits that are tough to get in and out of try to plan for the bathroom breaks. Either with *ahem* ways to relieve themselves while remaining in costume, or by building the costume in a way that allows them to get in and out for that purpose. If a NASCAR driver can go around in a circle for 4 hours and have a way to take care of business, a Cosplayer can walk around a con floor for a couple hours...

makes sense. thanks.

Cosplayers don't shop for comics. They are there to walk around and have their picture taken, not buy comics. I know of some who wear an elaborate outfit, walk around for 3 hours, go out to their car, change, and then return to shop, though.

Remember, cosplayers don't have pockets to put money.