• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,148 posts in this topic

why isnt his "S" drawn backwards?

Oh, and it is a nice book :applause:

"I am a real Superman!" instead of "Me am real Superman!" too. The writers hadn't quite gotten the full Bizarro shtick in place yet.

Jack

I'm never sure where to put "Atomic Age" books like this low-grade Blackhawk 71 from the Quality era, December 1953. Probably better here than Silver.

50646-Blackhawk71.jpg

Interesting issue -- the cover shows how Quality was floundering around with what to do with a leftover war feature, but the Blackhawk gang is keeping up with the trends by facing a Flying Saucer Assault. The issue opens with an origin recap -- I don't know whether it follows the original origin or adds new twists.

Second is a politically incorrect Chop Chop story -- find a scan on the Short Bus.

Third is the flying saucer story, that opens with "a new atom bomb test on a principle discovered by Blackhawk himself!" The 'Hawks encounter a hidden, scientifically advanced race. Gotta love that cold war era.

The last story is about The Red Tiger with a strong anti-Commie theme, including a Russian gang dressed in tiger suits, riding inside a giant red-tiger battle machine. Interesting that the action takes place on the Iran-Afghanistan border. Plus ça change...

Jack

These arrived from Nik today :banana:

FF44.jpg

FF116CGC.jpg

FF156.jpg

Frikkin' SWEET!!

FF was my fave forever - have those books in the Vault, but not in that shape!!

FF 157 was my first issue on the stands - hadda wait about 12 years to get the backstory!

I looooved Buckler's 'Kirbyesque' run!!

Good stuff!!

These arrived from Nik today :banana:

FF44.jpg

Couldn't get a worse scan eh?

Just Kidding.

Sweet Book!

Thanks!

I tried to get a good scan. I did three others. This was the best one :shrug: