• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,143 posts in this topic

I made a couple of great, and one superb acquisition today for Free Comic Book Day (all the stores are giving something like 20% off EVERYTHING in the store)...

-The Uncanny X-Men #342 variant cover. My big win of the day, easily NM/NM+ condition

-X-Men Volume 2 Issue 25 Mint with hologram intact

-X-Factor #24, the first appearance of Archangel, in VF+/NM condition.

fcbd_wins_zps3218314d.jpg

:applause:

-X-Factor #24, the first appearance of Archangel, in VF+/NM condition.

This is one of those that seems to keep getting gobbled up when they come up. Great find!

I got mine signed last year, by simonson and Wiacek Awesome people.

I was going through a $5 bin of books and found this little gem. This is is Neal Adams first published work drawn when he was 17 years old....

Direct Quote from Neal Adams. Source: http://www.webcitation.org/5lJycKN5e

"Adventures of the Fly #4 was my first work, and that panel was printed in a comic book. It probably is one of the greatest collector's items you could get of mine."

Mr Adams 1st published work.....

getfile_zpsaf2577ca.jpg

2013-05-04_16-09-38_527_zps82593208.jpg

I was going through a $5 bin of books and found this little gem. This is is Neal Adams first published work drawn when he was 17 years old....

Direct Quote from Neal Adams. Source: http://www.webcitation.org/5lJycKN5e

"Adventures of the Fly #4 was my first work, and that panel was printed in a comic book. It probably is one of the greatest collector's items you could get of mine."

ADAMS: Not really true. I was told by the people at Archie that Mr. Joe Simon would be interested in samples of the Fly. I did three or four pages on the Fly. I brought them in and left them there for Mr. Simon and was told he wasn�t in. I came back the following Wednesday and Joe Simon wasn�t there again. I�m this 17-year-old kid who has done four pages of samples for Mr. Simon and he hasn�t even come in. They felt sorry for me, so they got him on the phone and he said, �Ah, young man, I looked at your samples. They are very nice, but I have decided to do you a big favor. You�re not going to think it�s a favor, but I think it is the best thing in the world for you. Your samples are good and we could probably use you, but the truth is you have a good career [ahead of you]. You know how to draw. There are other things you should be doing with your life, not comic books. It�s a waste of your time. So I am advising you to do something else and I am turning you down.�

To which I said, �Thank you, Mr. Simon.�

137600.jpg.ad836647c587df9c8cdb522cb6df4baf.jpg

I read that on Neal Adams: Renaissance Man Part I though the coding on that site is distracting.

But it was interesting to read what happened years later.

================

OFFENBERGER: It must have been hard to do that.

ADAMS: Twenty years later Joe Simon sought me out to get advice on how he might handle his character's rights. I sat and talked to him for a half hour in the DC coffee room, gave him names and such. He never realized or remembered I was the kid he talked to all those years ago.

I read that on Neal Adams: Renaissance Man Part I though the coding on that site is distracting.

================

ADAMS: Twenty years later Joe Simon sought me out to get advice on how he might handle his character's rights. I sat and talked to him for a half hour in the DC coffee room, gave him names and such. He never realized or remembered I was the kid he talked to all those years ago.

Its quite difficult to imagine Neal Adams not being important at one time in the comics world. Im gonna get Neal to sign this book

================

Its quite difficult to imagine Neal Adams not being important at one time in the comics world. Im gonna get Neal to sign this book

Hopefully you catch him on a good day. I have seen him in person twice. At the Carbo show 2012 he was as nice a guy as anyone you would ever meet. This year I overheard a few people at the beginning of the show say he was acting like an . I saw a couple of things myself that made me roll my eyes and walk away.

Maybe he was having an off day and everyone is entitled to those once in awhile. I will what's up again next year.

================

Hopefully you catch him on a good day. I have seen him in person twice. At the Carbo show 2012 he was as nice a guy as anyone you would ever meet. This year I overheard a few people at the beginning of the show say he was acting like an . I saw a couple of things myself that made me roll my eyes and walk away.

Maybe he was having an off day and everyone is entitled to those once in awhile. I will what's up again next year.

Ive met Neal 3 times one time he was in a bad mood. Everyone has bad days