• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,146 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I posted this book in the grading forum and got some positive responses as far as the grade goes. I don't think many people actually visit that forum (if I'm wrong, let me know) and haven't seen my previous post. I recieved the book last friday from eBay seller jalva75 and spent the last week restoring it myself, putting in roughly 10-12 hours. Tape had to be removed from the length of the spine, a spine split sealed, small pieces added, reinforcement, and color touched. As you can see, there was a missing piece to the bottom right corner that had to be recreated and color matched (the yellows look slightly off in the scan, but in reality are nearly perfectly matched). There were a few spots, namely the top edge, that had to be color touched. Also, the majority of the wraps were completely split at the spine, with the rest split half way. Each had to be sealed and reinforced. I couldn't have been happier with how the book turned out. Below is a before and after shot of the new centerpiece of my collection, as well as a link to my previous post in the grading forum with much larger scans of the front cover as well as the back.

beforeafter5yn.jpg

Previous Post

Hi everyone, I posted this book in the grading forum and got some positive responses as far as the grade goes. I don't think many people actually visit that forum (if I'm wrong, let me know) and haven't seen my previous post. I recieved the book last friday from eBay seller jalva75 and spent the last week restoring it myself, putting in roughly 10-12 hours. Tape had to be removed from the length of the spine, a spine split sealed, small pieces added, reinforcement, and color touched. As you can see, there was a missing piece to the bottom right corner that had to be recreated and color matched (the yellows look slightly off in the scan, but in reality are nearly perfectly matched). There were a few spots, namely the top edge, that had to be color touched. Also, the majority of the wraps were completely split at the spine, with the rest split half way. Each had to be sealed and reinforced. I couldn't have been happier with how the book turned out. Below is a before and after shot of the new centerpiece of my collection, as well as a link to my previous post in the grading forum with much larger scans of the front cover as well as the back.

beforeafter5yn.jpg

Previous Post

Imho that's a pro work...congrats on a great restoration job!!! thumbsup2.gif

beforeafter5yn.jpg

Previous Post

Very impressive vjscipior! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Nice! I took a look at that one myself, but passed after I saw the woeful conversion rate. crazy.gif

Thanks! gossip.gifWell, I knew I wasn't going to be out-bid by you . . . makepoint.gif

stooges.gif

You are right, no fear of that.....I don't bid on auctions where I will end up overpaying. poke2.gif

Nice! I took a look at that one myself, but passed after I saw the woeful conversion rate. crazy.gif

Thanks! gossip.gifWell, I knew I wasn't going to be out-bid by you . . . makepoint.gif

stooges.gif

You are right, no fear of that.....I don't bid on auctions where I will end up overpaying. poke2.gif

None of that here . . . poke2.gif

Wins this week off ebay:

Daredevil 136 variant CGC 8.0 - HTF in HG - I didn't have a slabbed copy until now. My collection copy was a $45 purchase from Metro with a razor slice going thru Daredevil on the cover and into the next 3 pages tongue.gif27_laughing.gif

dd136varcgc80.jpg

Doctor Strange 17 variant CGC 9.4; my registry copy was a 9.2

ds17varcgc94.jpg

Fantastic Four 169 variant CGC 9.2 - my collection copy was unslabbed because it was a VF+ copy except for a flaw on the spine, as if someone started to cut the book with scissors 893whatthe.gif - the cut went thru the entire book

ff169varcgc92.jpg

Jungle Action 22 variant CGC 9.4 - another doozy to find in hard grade - my copies have all been in the FN/VF range and I had a nice candidate from metarog that I will end up sending in eventually. Hoped to do it onsite at Balto, but alas, it was not to be...

ja22varcgc94.jpg

Marvel Double Feature 15 variant CGC 9.2 - tough in HG - at least for me, all I've come across were FN/VF copies, tops

mdf15cgc92.jpg

Marvel Double Feature 17 variant CGC 8.0 - tough even in VF, IMO - takeit.gif

mdf17cgc80.jpg

Marvel's Greatest Comics 63 variant CGC 9.0 - my old copy was a CGC 7.0 that I thought had great eye appeal and could have passed for a NM copy - I'll have to check grader notes on that but I'm sure it is due to some fatal flaw. I know variant guys like Shield_Agent and metarog who don't really care about the number on the label and can appreciate my "reject" for the pretty book that it is tongue.gif

mgc63varcgc90.jpg

Marvel Two-In-One 15 variant CGC 9.4 - it beat out my former top census 9.2 - had to upgrade tongue.gif

mtio15varcgc94.jpg

How did this book get in here? Snipe gone wrong? Actually was hoping to pick up the Night Nurse 1 CGC 9.6 as well from JE but underestimated the bidding on that. Now DKB and I can drool over this copy next time we hook up for a comic trade?

nightnurse3cgc9.6.jpg

What a sweet sweet deal for a 35 cent variant in CGC 9.2 - $50!!! Yes, it's Tarzan 1 but, for a 35 center, I'm thrilled!

tarzan1varcgc92.jpg

stooges.gif

I know. You got if for less than guide and that is a tough book. Hopefully that scuffing is on the case though. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

stooges.gif

I know. You got if for less than guide and that is a tough book. Hopefully that scuffing is on the case though. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Got the grader notes this morning:

8.0 / 8.0 / 8.0 O/W to W

-Corner wear, top and bottom, front cover

-Crease, top corner, back cover

cloud9.gif

Picked up this puppy this morning:

scan0027.jpg

cloud9.gif I am sure it's going to look MUCH better in person 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

After being outbid on the Don Rosa copy, I settled for this copy for less than 1/3 the price . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I sent that book in be graded....therefore it's tainted. tongue.gif

It's been re-holdered? Do tell . . .

Grade Date 08/27/2003 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Title DC 100 Page Super Spectacular

Issue 4

Issue Date 1971

Publisher D.C. Comics

Category Universal

Grade 8.0

PageQuality OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Art Comments Bernie Wrightson cover and art

Key Comments Weird Mystery Tales.

First issue.

Bernie Wrightson appears in story.

Issue Year 1971

Issue 4

Issue Date 1971

Publisher D.C. Comics

Category Universal

Grade 8.0

First issue.

Issue Year 1971

They had new labels back then! makepoint.gif It came out around that time in 2003! confused-smiley-013.gif

Issue 4

Issue Date 1971

Publisher D.C. Comics

Category Universal

Grade 8.0

First issue.

Issue Year 1971

They had new labels back then! makepoint.gif It came out around that time in 2003! confused-smiley-013.gif

Just, I guess 893scratchchin-thumb.gif . . . nice book? (even though it's tainted) 27_laughing.gif and how did the Daryll get a hold of it - from you? popcorn.gif

Issue 4

Issue Date 1971

Publisher D.C. Comics

Category Universal

Grade 8.0

First issue.

Issue Year 1971

Just, I guess 893scratchchin-thumb.gif . . . nice book? (even though it's tainted) 27_laughing.gif and how did the Daryll get a hold of it - from you? popcorn.gif

He won it off eBay for around $70! frown.gif