• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpublished complete story OA value??

34 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, eewwnuk said:

This is the only example i can think of where its unpublished full story by an A+ artist on an A+ book that has strong value:

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=138936

That's exceptional . . . and an exception to the rule.

Generally, I sorely doubt that unpublished story art (especially if only in pencil stage) would ever eclipse published works.  The only times I think such art would come close (or perhaps better) if it was along the lines of the (suspected) Ditko 'Dr Strange' stories never delivered to Marvel . . . or maybe rejected 1960s Marvel covers by some of the heavyweight talents (if fully-inked with logos and captioned-materials present).  The rejected Kirby X-Men # 10 cover springs to mind.

In the case of the OP, I doubt that this would apply to the artwork he shows.

Edited by The Voord

On 10/23/2018 at 11:33 AM, JadeGiant said:

now that is a good question. I am not a huge Ditko or Strange fan (outside of Defenders) so I can't really answer but I am sure some experts will chime in. 

I can definitely see a collector valuing something high and possibly higher than something published if it truly strikes a chord with them but that would be the exception to the rule and an outlier scenario. So I can definitely see unpublished work being valuable, especially when it is a complete story … I still would not see it as MORE valuable than published. The problem is likely to find that one collector who values the art AND is willing to (over)pay for it. It does happen but is rare from what I have seen. Thinking of myself, the perfect storm would be a Sal Buscema Hulk story that was done but not published. If completely drawn and done at the level of a published work, I would certainly be interested. That said, if the same money could get me a published story vs an unpublished, I think I would opt for published every time.

Here is an example of an outlier. I have a page like that. In the early 2000's, I was told, DC was planning a series to unite all the magic in the universe into a single thread. So, they commissioned a series called "Sentinals of Light" which never saw the Light of day what with the New 52 coming out instead.

The person who pencilled the series was Chris Shenk, and he had a page for sale at a convention. I bought it on condition he would ink it and he did. I learned something about the character and DC publication, I didn't know. Now, his work is not particularly expensive, but this ended up very nicely done and in my opinion a bargain.

Here is what it looks like:

29Schenk.thumb.jpg.d62ac889256b14c4623f5b674d573852.jpg

The guy in the hood is Jason Blood.

Edited by Rick2you2
punctuation error

Apparently it's worth $99. That's what I have it listed for. Still learning this balance of investing and collecting. My goal is flipping OA to get pieces I want in my collection. My problem is patience....I have very little. 

And yes...that rug really ties the room together.