• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Darker Image 1 variant question

5 posts in this topic

I am 100% new to this board and had a quick questions about the Darker Image 1 book.  I know there are a few variants with this one - but one is the newsstand $1.95 variant.  From what I can see CGC has graded very few of these.  Does anyone have any idea as to the print run or sales of this one versus the others?  I tried using the website everyone has directed me to but I can't seem to figure out who to really narrow things down by the variants.  Trying to see if I managed to stumble on a real winner here that is worth getting graded and/or even SS through CGC.

Thanks.

Print runs are unknown, for every publisher, unless they release that information. In the case of this one, they did not. The newsstand would likely have been printed in greater numbers than either the gold embossed or platinum (B&W), but not nearly the numbers of the regular. DI #1 would have been printed to the tune of 500,000-1,000,000 copies, since it is a 1993 Image book, but the newsstand print run is anyone's guess. They're not particularly rare, they're just very, very well distributed and hidden in collections. They may be, like all Imagine newsstands, tough to find in high grade. 

What is the website everyone directed you to?

As far as "worth getting graded"...if it's a 9.8, the answer is "yes", for all Image newsstands, from Spawn #1 to whatever was the last newsstand Image produced. For other grades...the cost per sig that Kieth, Liefeld, and Lee INDIVIDUALLY charge ($20, $60, $40) is more than the slab would be worth, so unless it's a 9.8, and you can get it signed at a free signing...I wouldn't bother.

Image newsstands in high grade are worth it. Make sure they are high grade though. Otherwise you are wasting your money. The print run for the newsstand was smaller
by how much no one knows, but when I look thru boxes of image books I am lucky to find one or two newsstands.(I would like to say newsstand circulation was still high at the
time, but in my travels in 4 or 5 states I have found this to not be true for these books.) 

I have no problem selling a high grade image newsstand of almost any title. Keep in mind there is also a Darker Image Platinum as well. I used to see them all the time, 
the last few years not so much.

On 10/23/2018 at 12:37 PM, Trib01 said:

I tried using the website everyone has directed me to but I can't seem to figure out who to really narrow things down by the variants. 

19 minutes ago, Trib01 said:

Awesome thanks everyone and the site was the comichron site.

The thing is that, unlike all the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons out there, John Jackson Miller understands that variant numbers can't be estimated with the information he has.

Also, there is very little Newsstand edition or print run information on the comichron site, which focuses on Direct market distribution, mostly using Diamond's reports.

On 10/23/2018 at 12:37 PM, Trib01 said:

newsstand ...  From what I can see CGC has graded very few of these.

Considering both that CGC didn't acknowledge and separate it until two years ago and that they have a history of inconsistent labeling (see: Canadian Newsstands), the census is of very limited use.