• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unsolicited PM's about books for sale
1 1

96 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2018 at 12:55 AM, Beige said:

When I got your PM about a book I was looking for 5 - 6 weeks earlier (and usually if a book isn't found in a WTB ad inside a week - 10 days then they won't be), I was sceptical.

Then I saw no posts,so no 'references', no profile, and you didn't have paypal.

That unfortunately set off an alarm,as that usually points to a scammer - and there have been people here over the years that have used stock photos, or even tried to sell books they didn't own - and buyers lost money.

I reached out to a boardie I trust, who suggested I contact the site admin.

While I am glad that this turned out to have a happy ending, I am making mention that I am the board member that Beige reached out to.  What Beige did was NOT uncommon.  We have entire threads warning members about fraudulent sales and potential scams.  We have an entire thread or two or three devoted to eBay issues.  We have a HOS devoted to deals gone bad.

Beige reached out and told me what was going on.  Since it was another board member I suggested that he go to Arch and ask what the protocol is since I too did not know exactly how to handle it. 

With that said, I am glad that it worked out to be a legit seller but it would not change my viewpoint of remaining skeptical as well as vigilant if something similar were to happen again. 

Edited by Buzzetta

22 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

While I am glad that this turned out to have a happy ending, I am making mention that I am the board member that Beige reached out to.  What Beige did was NOT uncommon.  We have entire threads warning members about fraudulent sales and potential scams.  We have an entire thread or two or three devoted to eBay issues.  We have a HOS devoted to deals gone bad.

Beige reached out and told me what was going on.  Since it was another board member I suggested that he go to Arch and ask what the protocol is since I too did not know exactly how to handle it. 

With that said, I am glad that it worked out to be a legit seller but it would not change my viewpoint of remaining skeptical as well as vigilant if something similar were to happen again. 

I agree , you can't be too careful. Good looking out for each other , that's the positive side of the boards. Momma didn't raise no fool, as I have never been scammed by anyone. I have literally only bought from a handful of people even here on the boards, so I still would be careful.

29 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I agree , you can't be too careful. 

That's why I always wear a condom when buying and selling on the boards.

Image result for police squad condom

Edited by lizards2

40 minutes ago, evilskip said:

You might contact mycomicshop.com and see what they offer. They have buying partners all over the country and might come out to look at them and make you a cash offer. Wouldn't hurt to try. I'd avoid ebay.

I'm an hour away , and I already said I would drive there to check em out , but it was left ignored.(shrug)

35 minutes ago, NoMan said:

unless you're a boardie who i have on ignore. you can still stay at my place, but I'm gonna act like you're not here. 

Perfect.  where do you keep your books-

2 minutes ago, NoMan said:

sure. it's nice little collection. nothing earth shattering. Miller heavy. 

Any way you could get some GA books before I come to visit?

18 minutes ago, kav said:

Any way you could get some GA books before I come to visit?

doubtful. kinda tight financially right now. Not really a GA guy anyways. Not sure if you're getting at stealing my collection, but if you do, it's straight to the Marketplace Probation with you.