• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Grade this GSXM #1 I am considering on purchasing ....

28 posts in this topic

I get the impression that the revamped X-men books went from being quarter box material to smoking hot extremely fast - am I wrong about this?

You are not wrong.

That's what I thought - the funny thing is I had just about stopped buying mainstream comics right around the time GSXM #1 came out - but the original X-men had been my fave Marvel title, so i picked it up out of curiosity - but was unimpressed with the new line-up. I only bought #100 - because I saw it on a spinner rack in Flagstaff AZ drugstore in the summer of 76 when I was there - I think it was already a couple issues old at the time - but once again I was curious as it featured a battle with the original X-men - I probably hadn't bought a mainstream comic in about a year at this point - it was probably no better than a VF when I purchased it.

When I had stopped collecting in the mid-70s the biggest jumps I'd seen in the value of 1970s books had been Conan #1 and GL #76 which were maybe $20 books when I quit - so seeing a 70s book selling for $90 in 1981 was truely mind-blowing - at the time it didn't seem that long ago that a decent copy of ASM #1 could be had for the same money.

Alright people. Thanks for the input. I've decided to stay away from this book. At the selling price, it's not worth it in the condition its in. I appreaciate all your advice thumbsup2.gif.

I get the impression that the revamped X-men books went from being quarter box material to smoking hot extremely fast - am I wrong about this?

You are not wrong.

That's what I thought - the funny thing is I had just about stopped buying mainstream comics right around the time GSXM #1 came out - but the original X-men had been my fave Marvel title, so i picked it up out of curiosity - but was unimpressed with the new line-up. I only bought #100 - because I saw it on a spinner rack in Flagstaff AZ drugstore in the summer of 76 when I was there - I think it was already a couple issues old at the time - but once again I was curious as it featured a battle with the original X-men - I probably hadn't bought a mainstream comic in about a year at this point - it was probably no better than a VF when I purchased it.

When I had stopped collecting in the mid-70s the biggest jumps I'd seen in the value of 1970s books had been Conan #1 and GL #76 which were maybe $20 books when I quit - so seeing a 70s book selling for $90 in 1981 was truely mind-blowing - at the time it didn't seem that long ago that a decent copy of ASM #1 could be had for the same money.

RJ,

We must be on the same timetable - you couldn't describe my active collecting timeframe any better. hi.gif

-divad

it's that bottom edge - if it is water damage/moisture damage it gets an auto grade <6.0 from CGC... that's just my experience with my 1976 price variant books submitted - totally sweet NM candidates scrubbed to les than fines Christo_pull_hair.gifsmile.gif It's sad, I tell ya...

Come-on Darth...it's close enough to a Modern to give it more love than that... poke2.gifsmirk.gif

Jim

I thought it was Silver Age books that get more love than moderns?? yeahok.gif27_laughing.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, but Golden Age books get the "full-on lubed up orgy with all sorts of toys and midgets" sort of CGC-lovin' 27_laughing.gif