• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake Charles Schulz Art? A reconsideration.

9 posts in this topic

How many so-called "experts" would classify the drawing in this photo as a "fake" Schulz Snoopy drawing if it popped up on eBay without any provenance? Obviously, this is 100% genuine, but I am curious as to how people would regard this in the wild if they knew nothing else about it?

Ds77kCzWoAAOiha.jpg:large

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Obviously, this is 100% genuine, ...

Ds77kCzWoAAOiha.jpg:large

Is it? Or was that image photoshopped in to provide BS provenance? Even if that's not the case and the art is exactly what it (the picture) purports the art to be...why would anybody want a Salvation Army Shulz Snoopy? Either pay up for one worth owning or walk...that's me all day every day. I don't pay for signatures (on sht art), even at 1/10th fmv for a "good" one. Likewise I don't need a picture or signature to tell me a "bad" piece is good...cuz it never ever is or will be lol

Likewise, I might decline a a free "quickie" sketch by a favorite artist because I'd rather hold out for a full blown con sketch or commission.

If the drawing isn't going to have the characteristics that make that artist a favorite, maybe I'll pass on having a free quickie sketch in my collection.

It's a little snobbish but if you're not really going to be happy with it...

This thread is starting to go a bit off topic. The issue I was trying to get a discussion going on was whether or not we can even be sure that all the "fake" Schultz stuff out there is actually "fake?" I dare say that if some random person posted this drawing for sale on eBay, that a lot of us would declare it fake. Whether or not you would buy it if you knew it was genuine, is a separate issue. 

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

This thread is starting to go a bit off topic. The issue I was trying to get a discussion going on was whether or not we can even be sure that all the "fake" Schultz stuff out there is actually "fake?" I dare say that if some random person posted this drawing for sale on eBay, that a lot of us would declare it fake. Whether or not you would buy it if you knew it was genuine, is a separate issue. 

Nope not OT at all, fake or not if the piece doesn't look right...PASS cuz it might as well be fake. Your example...U G L Y.

4 hours ago, Will_K said:

Likewise, I might decline a a free "quickie" sketch by a favorite artist because I'd rather hold out for a full blown con sketch or commission.

If the drawing isn't going to have the characteristics that make that artist a favorite, maybe I'll pass on having a free quickie sketch in my collection.

It's a little snobbish but if you're not really going to be happy with it...

I have never passed on a "free quickie".