• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back Cover Fading and DCBS Backing Boards

3 posts in this topic

I've been way behind scanning my moderns and have been working on it for the last couple of days...

I'm finding a very large number of books that look like this on the back with the color bled onto the backing boards.

Anyone else have this problem in general?  Or, more specifically, with the 24 mil Half Backs that are provided by DCBS?

I was kind of thinking that the boards just may have been flipped over, so I've been flipping them back, but... A lot of these are <2 years in the bag/board... seems strange... :-/

1.5BackMartinVariantGray-NM.thumb.jpg.69d56e20af0bbeeb7805beae9155d028.jpg

I own comic books that I purchased over a decade ago from DCBS with Mylites2 and 24 mil Half Backs (in hindsight, a waste of money on my part) that have been stored as delivered after I graded them and I have never encountered what is shown on the scan that you posted.  

Although I never encountered such from DCBS , could some of the comic books and/or 24 mil Half Backs that you received from DCBS have been damp (I have received damp modern comic books from other dealers but not damp acid free boards from E. Gerber or otherwise)? If I may, where are your comic books stored (is it humid; although I have never seen what you post when I have looked at modern collections stored in humid conditions-perhaps other board members have)?

Lastly, if not for the fact that you note that "I'm finding a very large number of books that look like this on the back with the color bled onto the backing boards," I would hazard that the comic books that have color loss on the back exterior cover may have arrived like that from the printer as over the years I have seen many modern comic books with the noted defect. However, I imagine that you reviewed these comic books upon receipt and they were not in this condition.

thanks for the reply!

I was thinking it may have been a humidity issue... but I don't think it's on my end.  I also have a bunch of products that I bought directly from E Gerber, but I *only* notice this on books that I received from DCBS and left in the bags in which they arrived.  I do have a dehumidifier in my comics room set to 45, but the thing rarely (if ever) even turns on.

I didn't notice the issue when I first received the books, as you noted, but only as I'm pulling them out again a while later.  I'll see if I can figure out some way to test when my next shipment shows up in a week or two and see what happens...

Thanks again :)