• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC's checkerboard

72 posts in this topic

I've been severely undergrading for some reason. I guess looking at all of Burntboy's DCs which look super in the scans and alot of which received 8.0s to 9.0. I'm sure if I saw this in person I wouldn't have been so off.

My apologies ArAich! sorry.gif

Dear Hawkman #14 CGC 9.4,

Please accept my deepest, most heartfelt apology for not appreciating your worth.

It should have been obvious to me immediately, that you were a quality, standup

book. Your corners sharp, your colors bright, even your QP is pretty topnotch. With

your retrostylish gogo checks, you are truly, a slab among slabs.

Sincerely, Red Hook

Or rather, the PKD-bot.

Excerpted from hansonrobotics.com:

In an unparalleled technical collaboration, a team of artists, writers, engineers, literary scholars, and freethinkers are creating a lifelike, android portrait of one of America's well-known science-fiction writers Philip K . The robot will be featured at WIRED magazine's NextFest, June 25-27, 2005.

The late Philip K. created the fiction behind Blade Runner, Minority Report and Total Recall. In addition, wrote A Scanner Darkly, which will come out as a major feature film this fall. Hanson Robotics Inc (HRI), the FedEx Institute of Technology's Institute for Intelligent Systems (IIS) and the Automation and Robotics Research Institute (ARRI) at UTA are working with Paul Williams, a close friend and former literary executor of , to create a robotic portrait that will be a powerful memorial to the author.

Philip K 's works addressed themes in which science, technology and robotics challenge and twist human identity. He would often portray robots that think they are human or mimic a given human identity. Celebrating and resurrecting with such a robot reflects simultaneously upon the works of and the advancement of robotic technology. This robot publicly represents a remarkable convergence of the world's best expressive robot hardware, natural language AI and machine vision that will appear in a wide range of applications such as advertising, entertainment, and education.

The robot will portray in both form and intellect through an artificial-intelligence-driven personality. The hardware will manipulate Hanson's proprietary lifelike skin material to affect extremely realistic expressions with very low power. Cameras in the eyes will allow the robot to perceive people's identity and behavior through advanced machine vision and biometric-identification software. The robot will track faces, perceive facial expressions, and recognize people from the crowd (family, friends, celebrities, etc).

I've been meaning to comment on that avatar, very cool. thumbsup2.gif

hey who remembers what came first? Marvel's Pop Art Productions or DCs Go-Go checks? I seem to remember that Marvel moved first to market their books in a timely hip manner.... but was DC first to take the "bold but stupid" step?

hey who remembers what came first? Marvel's Pop Art Productions or DCs Go-Go checks? I seem to remember that Marvel moved first to market their books in a timely hip manner.... but was DC first to take the "bold but stupid" step?

As near as I can tell, Marvel used the Pop Art graphic from Sept. 1965 - Dec. 1965. Not very long, and not on every title. Mainly the following issues:

Fantastic Four #42 - 45

Journey Into Mystery #119 - 122

Amazing Spider-Man #28 - 31

Avengers #19 - 22

X-Men #13 - 14

Daredevil #9 - 10

Sgt. Fury #21 - 22

As near as I can tell, Marvel used the Pop Art graphic from Sept. 1965 - Dec. 1965. Not very long, and not on every title. Mainly the following issues:

Fantastic Four #42 - 45

Journey Into Mystery #119 - 122

Amazing Spider-Man #28 - 31

Avengers #19 - 22

X-Men #13 - 14

Daredevil #9 - 10

Sgt. Fury #21 - 22

Cool list. thumbsup2.gif

The only other one I could find is Tales To Astonish 71.

I didn't realize there were so few of these.