• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM DD #7 - Grade Is In!
1 1

22 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2018 at 3:59 PM, The Lions Den said:

Pretty nice copy. Appears to be Fine range 6 - 6.5. Is there an ink stain on the bottom edge of the front cover near the spine?  (shrug)

I took this issue out of its bag and board, and I can see what you're talking about. However, there's no stain on the inside cover, and when you hold the issue at different angles, it's not always visible.

Joe Ankenbauer

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

23 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I took this issue out of its bag and board, and I can see what you're talking about. However, there's no stain on the insider cover, and when you hold the issue at different angles, it's not always visible.

Joe Ankenbauer

On the vertex of the spine, below the bottom staple, it appears to be color touched.  As rough as the spine seems to be, the other edges seem awfully sharp. I cannot state for a fact there is trimming but I would be suspect. I'm sorry but I think this book was worked on.

8 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

On the vertex of the spine, below the bottom staple, it appears to be color touched.  As rough as the spine seems to be, the other edges seem awfully sharp. I cannot state for a fact there is trimming but I would be suspect. I'm sorry but I think this book was worked on.

VERYYYY shiny staples too...

1 minute ago, Karl Liebl said:

VERYYYY shiny staples too...

You are right, the top staple is like brand new shiny, however, the bottom staple has some rust. Unfortunately, the pics provided of the overall book are very cropped but many things look suspicous here.

11 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You are right, the top staple is like brand new shiny, however, the bottom staple has some rust. Unfortunately, the pics provided of the overall book are very cropped but many things look suspicous here.

Top staple also has interesting curve that is absent in bottom one hmmmmm....

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If there has been a color touch, doesn't that usually bleed through to the inside cover?

I have had this book in my collection since the late 1970s. Were people trimming edges way back then? There are definitely some nicks along the top and right-hand side of the cover that don't show up so well in the scans I posted.

Anyway, we will find out at some point in time. I'm sending this book to Joe Grisolia (along with several other books that people on this forum have been kind enough to offer their grade opinions - FF 12, FF 49, FF 52, ASM 4, ASM 20, ASM 129). I have read that many here hold him in high regard. I sent pictures of my ASM 129, and he said that a cleaning and press would do wonders for that book. He also does pre-screening; if he believes a book will not be improved by cleaning and pressing, he will just send it on CGC without working on it. I am just interested in seeing his work first hand - besides, it's only $20 a book. If he is able to raise the grade of my ASM 129 from 4.5 to 5.5, that will easily pay for the cleaning and pressing of all the books I send in.

Joe Ankenbauer

40 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

If there has been a color touch, doesn't that usually bleed through to the inside cover?

I have had this book in my collection since the late 1970s. Were people trimming edges way back then?

Answers to these two questions. 1) Not necessarily and 2) YES !!!!

41 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Anyway, we will find out at some point in time. I'm sending this book to Joe Grisolia (along with several other books that people on this forum have been kind enough to offer their grade opinions - FF 12, FF 49, FF 52, ASM 4, ASM 20, ASM 129). I have read that many here hold him in high regard. I sent pictures of my ASM 129, and he said that a cleaning and press would do wonders for that book. He also does pre-screening; if he believes a book will not be improved by cleaning and pressing, he will just send it on CGC without working on it. I am just interested in seeing his work first hand - besides, it's only $20 a book. If he is able to raise the grade of my ASM 129 from 4.5 to 5.5, that will easily pay for the cleaning and pressing of all the books I send in.

I trust you understanding the meaning of Too Much Information.:baiting: