• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Superman #186 - Staple tears/ popped staple

8 posts in this topic

I have several silver age comics that would probably be 9.4's were it not for a staple tear. Some books, the staple has popped loose from the cover. Some books, the staple looks prone to pop loose from the cover because of the staple tear.

What would your guidance be for the grade of the book with this defect?

How would you come up with a selling price to offer out for sale?

Would you go right to the highest grade that allows this defect?

Or would you take the grade of the book without the defect and apply a discount % off, like 40%/ 50% off ... or something like that?

image.png.c7f30760a6010fc098fdb54379dcd5ff.png

image.png.bdfdbd10a5ab01c6356c7b5774a6ab19.png

image.png.08059eac427211d24abea2d60b3e0b9a.png

Edited by Pukie

34 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

someone with grading knowledge please answer this post...

I too have several books similar to this and would love to know how much this effects the grade...

A book with a detached staple will usually get a Green Qualified Label. About the highest a Blue label with a detached staple can get is probably 6.0 .

There was a recent thread about a batman 232 or 244 that looked NM- except for a popped staple, that was graded CGC 6.5 universal.  I had to see it to believe it.  This book looks to be in exactly the same condition so i'm going to go with:

CGC 6.5   (Overstreet 3.0 as detached cover at one staple can grade no higher an a G/VG 3.0)

On 12/18/2018 at 11:02 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

A book with a detached staple will usually get a Green Qualified Label. About the highest a Blue label with a detached staple can get is probably 6.0 . 

thank you!

do have 2 more questions...

what if the book is a VG 4.0 and has a detached staple?

does the book stay the same grade, Is a detached staple aloud in this grade?

and what if a book is a 6.0 in every way but has a detached staple....it couldnt still be a 6.0 could it? the detached staple would have to take points off but how much?

for me, I understand a lot easier the higher grades, with a book like the OPs thats NM, Its much easier to figure out how much a detached staple effects it because its basically the only flaw...

But when its gets to the lower and Mid grades, I dont really know...

I have a few books that are 7.0's that have a detached staple and I graded them as between 3.0 and 4.0 just to be safe

8 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

thank you!

do have 2 more questions...

what if the book is a VG 4.0 and has a detached staple?

does the book stay the same grade, Is a detached staple aloud in this grade?

and what if a book is a 6.0 in every way but has a detached staple....it couldnt still be a 6.0 could it? the detached staple would have to take points off but how much?

for me, I understand a lot easier the higher grades, with a book like the OPs thats NM, Its much easier to figure out how much a detached staple effects it because its basically the only flaw...

But when its gets to the lower and Mid grades, I dont really know...

I have a few books that are 7.0's that have a detached staple and I graded them as between 3.0 and 4.0 just to be safe

Regarding your 'what if' grading questions, I don't know either. Unfortunately, there's really not a CGC rulebook we can refer to. I would like to add a couple additional comments about popped staples. There are 'degrees' of popped staples for CGC. A staple can be popped to the front cover but still attached to the back and vice versa. I once received a Blue Label 9.0 on such a situation. My reference to a 6.0 as being about the highest grade was for a completely popped staple. Also, a clean staple pop may be considered bindery in nature. A staple pop with signs of stress or tears at the staple will be considered impact and may be down graded more than a clean pop. So, as with all things CGC, there is a lot of 'it depends' in the equation. Hope this helps.