• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Australian Boardies - GST on books sent for slabbing...

1 post in this topic

Usual story - we have comics in Australia and decide to have some slabbed.

Now these are our comics to begin with - I'm not talking about ebay purchases, or dealer purchases, but slabbing our own books.

Now with GST in Australia on everything, I was hoping that this exemption would cover GST payments.

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2013L01120

Has anyone used this when getting your slabs back from CGC or CFP etc?

3.       For the purposes of item 17 of Schedule 4 to the Customs Tariff Act 1995, goods that:

(a)           are produced in Australia; or

(b)          duties of the Commonwealth were paid when first imported into Australia;

that have been exported from Australia and returned in an unaltered condition, being goods that have not been subject to treatment, repair, renovation, alteration or any other process, are prescribed.

4.       For the purposes of paragraph 3, “repair” does not include repairs undertaken for the preservation or maintenance of the goods.

I'd say that this should cover sending books out for slabbing. I cannot see how it would be legal to charge me GST on my own possession which I choose to send away to be protected against age and damage.

Any Aussies want to chime in?

Thanks!