• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original art -> production art .... tell me more!
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I recently purchased some pages that were sold to me as as "production" pieces from the early 1970s. I am looking for more information about the process in which art goes from being "finished" to hitting the presses (layout, revisions, approvals, etc.).

I would also love to hear any details that might be involved for the book to receive a "Comic Magazine Code Authority" approval as seen in the photo below and where it falls into the overall process.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2641.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2639.jpeg

These are at least real production pieces! Based on the thread title I expected another leadpink fake garbage thread. What I'm seeing is 99% stats with original ink continuation to the borders (maybe modern final dimensions were larger than 1950s?) The "original" art part of these is that ink continuation at the edges by whomever in Marvel production office. The rest (99%) is legitimate production materials but not original art.

9 minutes ago, vodou said:

These are at least real production pieces! Based on the thread title I expected another leadpink fake garbage thread. What I'm seeing is 99% stats with original ink continuation to the borders (maybe modern final dimensions were larger than 1950s?) The "original" art part of these is that ink continuation at the edges by whomever in Marvel production office. The rest (99%) is legitimate production materials but not original art.

Any thoughts as to where these types of panels fit into the overall production process (i.e. from here do they get approved for color samples, etc.)?

22 minutes ago, 707comics said:

Any thoughts as to where these types of panels fit into the overall production process (i.e. from here do they get approved for color samples, etc.)?

I believe that is the War is Hell #1 lot that was offered on the boards awhile back, the stories are all reprints. The pages are stats made from the original stories printed in the 1950s (either from films or original art) that were reformatted to fit bronze age comic sizing, I think the seller mentioned that some panels had to be extended on the edges and there was probably some touch up ink added as needed on the stats. Possible some wording was edited if there was anything offensive for the 1970s market. These were the pages the comic was printed from, the color guides would be done off of copies of these pages.

Edited by boomtown

7 minutes ago, boomtown said:

I believe that is the War is Hell #1 lot that was offered on the boards awhile back, the stories are all reprints. The pages are stats made from the original stories printed in the 1950s (either from films or original art) that were reformatted to fit bronze age comic sizing, I think the seller mentioned that some panels had to be extended on the edges and there was probably some touch up ink added as needed on the stats. Possible some wording was edited if there was anything offensive for the 1970s market. These were the pages the comic was printed from, the color art would be done off of copies of these pages.

Thanks @boomtown! Exactly the kind of info I am after.

Any thoughts on when in the process the art would have been submitted for approval by the Comic Code Authority?