• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fire Proof Water Proof Safe Document Holder for graded comics?

23 posts in this topic

I'm actually looking for this too... been searching for a safe that will fill insurance requirements but not be TOO heavy but still be big enough to house the core of my collection.

I'm leaning toward this...

image.thumb.png.664010035eaadd771fadaa25513fb9d6.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074KHWNJZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Not water proof, though.

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

I'm actually looking for this too... been searching for a safe that will fill insurance requirements but not be TOO heavy but still be big enough to house the core of my collection.

I'm leaning toward this...

image.thumb.png.664010035eaadd771fadaa25513fb9d6.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074KHWNJZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Not water proof, though.

My microwave is bigger than that. A small safe is not really protection. A thief can simply carry it out.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

12 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

My microwave is bigger than that. A small safe is not really protection. A thief can simply carry it out.

It weighs over 100 pounds, FYI. And it will be bolted down. 

Edited by oldrover

5 minutes ago, oldrover said:

And Bomber Bob, if you don’t like the suggestion, how about a constructive solution, as the OP requested?

I don't have any specific recommendations but I would avoid both Fire and Water Proof, not good for the comics. Air tight means high humidity and rusty staples. This has been discussed many times here. I don't know why you took umbrage with my comment to you ? 100 pounds is not protection, bolted or not. Not sure why you felt offended but so be it. I stand by my comment, not a good choice. 

On 12/31/2018 at 3:37 PM, rbruno303 said:

I'm looking a Fire Proof Water Proof Safe Document Holder for the CGC's encapsulated comic...

Here is a very old thread from CGC with a warning about Fire Proof safes. 

Original Locked Thread on Fireproof Safes and Comic Storage

Edited by Bomber-Bob

3 minutes ago, gradejunky said:

Yep, I remember that old thread!  The pics of the rust growing off the staples looked like something out of a sci-fi movie.

That image still haunts me to this day. I still say there must have been something else going on, like somehow chemicals were introduced. That was not your ever so slowly migrating rust, it was an explosion.

56 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't have any specific recommendations but I would avoid both Fire and Water Proof, not good for the comics. Air tight means high humidity and rusty staples. This has been discussed many times here. I don't know why you took umbrage with my comment to you ? 100 pounds is not protection, bolted or not. Not sure why you felt offended but so be it. I stand by my comment, not a good choice. 

I’m not offended in the least. That said, you are mistaken about it not being a certain level of protection. Unless you think theyre safer out in the open. LOL 

EDIT: Also, this safe is not airtight. 

Edited by oldrover

4 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I can’t get full insurance coverage for theft without either a home security system or some sort of safe. I don’t want the former... 

I concur with this. There's been threads about insurance and the overwhelming consensus uses CIS CollectInsure . I would suggest a safety deposit box at a local bank. I have multiple boxes at different banks. CIS covers them at any bank location. The cost of CIS insurance is very reasonable.

9 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I concur with this. There's been threads about insurance and the overwhelming consensus uses CIS CollectInsure . I would suggest a safety deposit box at a local bank. I have multiple boxes at different banks. CIS covers them at any bank location. The cost of CIS insurance is very reasonable.

I’m talking to CIS, and yeah, I tried that. They have none available in a size big enough to hold a slab. And that’s BofA.

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

I’m talking to CIS, and yeah, I tried that. They have none available in a size big enough to hold a slab. And that’s BofA.

Yes, the big name Banks usually don't have much in the way of Safety Deposit Boxes. I suppose there is not a lot of money to be made. I have found the small community Banks will offer them. 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I would suggest a safety deposit box at a local bank. I have multiple boxes at different banks. CIS covers them at any bank location. The cost of CIS insurance is very reasonable.

Although the cost of insurance might possibly be reasonable in your particular case here, I highly doubt that the cost of safety deposit box(es) large enough to hold comic books are.  hm  :frown:

1 hour ago, oldrover said:
1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I would suggest a safety deposit box at a local bank. I have multiple boxes at different banks. CIS covers them at any bank location. The cost of CIS insurance is very reasonable.

I would definitely never put a slabbed book into a safety deposit box as it just takes up way too much room.

I've seen some safety deposit boxes that can hold over 125 mylared GA books, but probably only a small fraction of that if they were slabbed. 

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I would definitely never put a slabbed book into a safety deposit box as it just takes up way too much room.

I've seen some safety deposit boxes that can hold over 125 mylared GA books, but probably only a small fraction of that if they were slabbed. 

And... this is why I’m looking at safes. LOL