• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie Giants Size #2 (Christmas Special)

12 posts in this topic

I've had comics put in mag slabs because their width and length do fit in a comic slab.  CGC did not change/charge me differently for this.  The thickness did not matter.  

But without knowing much about the book, I looked it up and it actually titled Archie Giant Series Magazine #2.  So Magazine is in the title but I still think it depends on the dimensions.  Is this the book?

What are the dimensions? 

From HA - https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/humor/archie-giant-series-magazine-2-archie-s-christmas-stocking-archie-1955-cgc-vf-80-white-pages/a/7192-94044.s

19208008%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Edited by telerites

17 minutes ago, telerites said:

But without knowing much about the book, I looked it up and it actually titled Archie Giant Series Magazine #2.  So Magazine is in the title but I still think it depends on the dimensions.  Is this the book?

What are the dimensions? 

From how snugly that "magazine" is fitting into the slab, I am 100% sure that it was encased in a GA comic book sized holder.  :gossip:

If I remember correctly, I believe I also have one of those early Archie Christmas Giant issues and they are pretty much the same size as any other squareback comic book annual that was released back in those days.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

46 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

From how snugly that "magazine" is fitting into the slab, I am 100% sure that it was encased in a GA comic book sized holder.  :gossip:

If I remember correctly, I believe I also have one of those early Archie Christmas Giant issues and they are pretty much the same size as any other squareback comic book annual that was released back in those days.  hm

That is what I was thinking as far as it is in a comic slab.  I just didn't know if that is the book @the blob is talking about.  Here is one of my comics encapped in a mag holder so it does look a lot different.  I have a handful CGC had to do this way and while I know it is the best way encap it, I dislike because I can't keep the title run together in the same box.

0902181848041.jpg

13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I have 2 and 4 and 2 seems a little bigger than 4. 

14 hours ago, telerites said:

I've had comics put in mag slabs because their width and length do fit in a comic slab.  CGC did not change/charge me differently for this.  The thickness did not matter.  

What are the dimensions? 

From HA - https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/humor/archie-giant-series-magazine-2-archie-s-christmas-stocking-archie-1955-cgc-vf-80-white-pages/a/7192-94044.s

19208008%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

That is it. Yeah, magazine is in the title, but the later issues are just fat comics. This is not quite magazine dimensions, just big GA, but fat too. Fatter than a typical square bound, more like a fat pulp. On the fence over slabbing as it needs a press to get a spine roll out, so after all that I would have $115 or so "in" a book that is about $200 OPG VG. Dunno what FMV is though in a slab. Doesn't have a sexy (as archies go...) B&V cover or something funny/risque that seems to jack these up, just a lot of $ in guide and presumably not that easy to find. I kind of would like it in a slab though.

Edited by the blob

20 minutes ago, the blob said:

That is it. Yeah, magazine is in the title, but the later issues are just fat comics. This is not quite magazine dimensions, just big GA, but fat too. Fatter than a typical square bound, more like a fat pulp. On the fence over slabbing as it needs a press to get a spine roll out, so after all that I would have $115 or so "in" a book that is about $200 OPG VG. Dunno what FMV is though in a slab. Doesn't have a sexy (as archies go...) B&V cover or something funny/risque that seems to jack these up, just a lot of $ in guide and presumably not that easy to find. I kind of would like it in a slab though.

Well a slabbed 4.0 sold in April of last year for $299.  Not much other recent data outside of the HA link I provided but that is an 8.0.  

I still think it subbed under a comic tier and not a mag.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:34 AM, telerites said:

Well a slabbed 4.0 sold in April of last year for $299.  Not much other recent data outside of the HA link I provided but that is an 8.0.  

Ok, that gives me optimism

On 1/18/2019 at 4:43 AM, the blob said:
On 1/17/2019 at 3:12 PM, lou_fine said:

I have 2 and 4 and 2 seems a little bigger than 4. 

That's most likely because the first 2 issues were 100 pagers while the later issues starting with issue #3 shrunk down to only 84 pagers. :gossip:

19 hours ago, the blob said:
On 1/18/2019 at 5:34 AM, telerites said:

Ok, that gives me optimism

The only problem is that most of these early Archie big page squarebacks and annuals are not that easy to locate, especially in any type of half decent shape as clearly evident by the single digit census count on most of them. 

Like Archie digests nowadays, that's probably because they were well read and passed around to be read, as opposed to the more popular super hero books which some astute collectors of the day decided to collect and keep in good shape.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

The only problem is that most of these early Archie big page squarebacks and annuals are not that easy to locate, especially in any type of half decent shape as clearly evident by the single digit census count on most of them. 

Like Archie digests nowadays, that's probably because they were well read and passed around to be read, as opposed to the more popular super hero books which some astute collectors of the day decided to collect and keep in good shape.  (thumbsu

I meant $299 gives me optimism.