• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my 'The Champions' #1

42 posts in this topic

Second up on my list of comics to get a grade estimate is a copy of 'The Champions' #1. I'm guessing somewhere around a 7 with the creases on the bottom back corners and the smudge along the back spine, but I'd like to get word from some more seasoned collectors...

champions_1_front.jpg

champions_1_back.jpg

That's a pretty serious corner bashing. 893whatthe.gif Probably have a hard time acquiring a 6.0. I'm thinking about a 5.5. Your scans are over exposed, which washes the whites out a lot, and obscures defects.

A 6.0 would be a gift. Probably a 5.0/5.5

I don't know. After seeing that CGC 6.0 a few rounds ago in the grading contest I am inclined to say 5.5/6.0 as well. If anything, that one had more damage than this one. confused-smiley-013.gif

Jack, just to follow up on this a little and stress to you how important grade is when submitting comics to CGC. This issue is valued at $10 in Raw 6.0 grade goes to $21 in Raw 8.0. Now if you were to get it graded by CGC and it came back at a 7,5 it's value according to the GPA is 14.95. Even if it graded out at 9.0 which is way better than your copy it's value currently is 24.99. You'd need to get a copy in 9.6 before it's value would be over $100 ($112.72).

A little history on GPA, their a private run business that monitors sales of CGC graded comics, primarily on eBay . They make it so we have an idea of the value of a comic before we submit it to CGC, provided it comes back in the grade we surmise. While Champions #1 is a nice issue to own the demand for it is low, hence the comparatively close values between Raw and Graded. So let me put it to you this way. To increase your joy when opening a box of just graded CGC comics first only submit comics that have a respectable interest and more importantly ONLY submit pristine copies, unless you’ve got some Golden or Silver Age key comics of course then that’s a whole different issue. So if ain't perfect don't submit it just sell it Raw or keep it and enjoy it.

Clare

Oh, don't worry...I'm not actually contemplating sending any of my comics in for grading. Nothing I have would be worth over about $50 or so, even at NM quality...I'm just getting some of the curiosity out of my system is all... laugh.gif

That's a pretty serious corner bashing. 893whatthe.gif Probably have a hard time acquiring a 6.0. I'm thinking about a 5.5. Your scans are over exposed, which washes the whites out a lot, and obscures defects.

Any tips on scanner settings that can help combat this? Right now I'm just using whatever the defaults are on my HP all-in-one.

Just make sure none of the masks are turned on. Do you scan on auto or manual? What is your dpi set at? I scan on manual so I can choose the settings. I use 200 dpi with a target image of 4" (width) and save at 50% quality. That renders an image size that works well. I once had a mask turned on that added to much noise. Maybe some of the other formites have some other ideas. gossip.gif

I scanned manually, but didn't change any settings. I believe the DPI was 300 and the image size was 100%. I then took the scan into Photoshop to resize it. Don't know about any filters or such...I'll have to check that out after work.

Any tips on scanner settings that can help combat this? Right now I'm just using whatever the defaults are on my HP all-in-one.

Uh yeah, get a different scanner - HP all-in-ones are notorious for this. makepoint.gif

stooges.gif

Just make sure none of the masks are turned on. Do you scan on auto or manual? What is your dpi set at? I scan on manual so I can choose the settings. I use 200 dpi with a target image of 4" (width) and save at 50% quality. That renders an image size that works well. I once had a mask turned on that added to much noise. Maybe some of the other formites have some other ideas. gossip.gif

hi.gif Clare,

That's pretty much what I do too. thumbsup2.gif

I scanned manually, but didn't change any settings. I believe the DPI was 300 and the image size was 100%. I then took the scan into Photoshop to resize it. Don't know about any filters or such...I'll have to check that out after work.

That's why I choose a target size of 4" width so I don't need to resize it later. Here's an example of one of my scans Front Back

That's why I choose a target size of 4" width so I don't need to resize it later. Here's an example of one of my scans Front Back

Well, I like to have a mega-scan AND a selling scan -- So I resize and compress using Adobe software because it is superior to HP's image software. makepoint.gif

hi.gif Clare,

That's pretty much what I do too. thumbsup2.gif

Not suprising to me David. After all I got the tips from you. thumbsup2.gif