• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the most expensive silver age comicbook by grade?

91 posts in this topic

I just bought the White mountain AF #15 at heritages auction. It is very nice but I agree with everyone that it is a soft 9.4 but not a 9.2. CGC may have seen enough to lean it into the 9.4 category. All I knowi s that i am never gonna crack it out of the holder to see. it may come to market in 10-15 years. Does anyone know if the 9.8 x-men is up for sale, and or the 9.8 asm #1. I would be interested.

x101

Congrats on the WM AF15 !! its a very pretty book and if youre gonna hang onto it, it will work out very well IMO. There are only a handfull of such sweet copies and youre now a member of an elite club!

I just bought the White mountain AF #15 at heritages auction. It is very nice but I agree with everyone that it is a soft 9.4 but not a 9.2. CGC may have seen enough to lean it into the 9.4 category. All I knowi s that i am never gonna crack it out of the holder to see. it may come to market in 10-15 years. Does anyone know if the 9.8 x-men is up for sale, and or the 9.8 asm #1. I would be interested.

x101

Congratulations on the purchase. Plus, I love hearing the collector state that he'll keep the book for at least 10/15 years. I hate seeing major books like that bought and flipped the next day.

Okay, I'll play...I'd say the ASM 1 9.6 will close at around $110k incl. buyer's premium (20%?? Ouch!)

Of course, if someday two Hollywood types decide they really want to own a top of census copy (assuming that doesn't happen already), well, ahoy silly prices.

Does anyone have any predictions as to what an ASM #1 9.6 will sell for? One is being auctioned by heritage on ebay.

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28266&item=6550217081

keep in mind thats the "infamous" Parrino copy that many feel is a bit overgraded. It has had a checkered past in auctions previous to this so its hard to predict what it will sell for. It has a color breaking bent LR corner plus a soft LR corner a nd more thana few spine tiny breaks ---- which taken together are pretty much universally thought to be questionable in 9.6. Perhaps in the grader's hands it presented so spectacularly that it was given a 9.6 in spite of its tiny but noticeable flaws.

Does anyone have any predictions as to what an ASM #1 9.6 will sell for? One is being auctioned by heritage on ebay.

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28266&item=6550217081

Just so you're on the same page as the rest of us, keep in mind that Heritage really runs their own auctions. They just use the eBay Live listings to supplement their marketing. If you want to truly track the books and get the correct results when the auction is over use HeritageComics.com

If memory serves the WM AF15 is a REALLY soft looking 9.4.

That's surprising, as the grading committee at Sotheby's ooohed and ahhhed that book in the nineties when they examined it. Was grading less strict, or has the book been mishandled in the years since?

Take a look at it in the Heritage archives. Personally, I don't think it's all that soft.

I should compare the scan I have from the catalog with the newer scans. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have to disagree on this one, Rob. All the defects that are on the book now were there when Sotheby's auctioned it. I think it is soft for a 9.4. Even Doug Schmell admitted in a roundabout way on the STL Comics forum that it *might* have gotten a bit of a gift grade.

I didn't say it wasn't soft. I said "I don't think it's all that soft." It's definitely not the tightest book I've seen in a 9.4 holder, but it's also not an 8.5. confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess my memory is fuzzy, because I seem to remember the Overstreet monthly article on the WM AF # 15 calling it a VF 89 or NM 91 or something similar. I always wondered how it turned out ot be a 9.4. Of course, I also remember the Marvel Comics Pay Copy being called a VG when it was first unearthed.....and I think its subsequent CGC grade of 9.0 was by far the further stretch.

I guess my memory is fuzzy, because I seem to remember the Overstreet monthly article on the WM AF # 15 calling it a VF 89 or NM 91 or something similar. I always wondered how it turned out ot be a 9.4. Of course, I also remember the Marvel Comics Pay Copy being called a VG when it was first unearthed.....and I think its subsequent CGC grade of 9.0 was by far the further stretch.

I have the Sotheby's catalog next to me, the WM AF 15 got a 94. In the same catalog the Pay Copy got an 89.

I have the Sotheby's catalog next to me, the WM AF 15 got a 94. In the same catalog the Pay Copy got an 89.

See...fuzzy memory. wink.gif

Maybe not so fuzzy, it could have graded differently the first time it was sold.

Maybe not so fuzzy, it could have graded differently the first time it was sold.

I'm pretty sure the first mention of the Pay Copies' discovery in the Overstreet monthly had them as VGs because of the writing, however, I have nothing but my fuzzy memory to support it.

Okay, I'll play...I'd say the ASM 1 9.6 will close at around $110k incl. buyer's premium (20%?? Ouch!)

Of course, if someday two Hollywood types decide they really want to own a top of census copy (assuming that doesn't happen already), well, ahoy silly prices.

I'd be very surprised if this book breaks $100K, inclusive of BP (which is 15%, not 20%).

And its not the top of census copy. gossip.gif

I'd be very surprised if this book breaks $100K, inclusive of BP (which is 15%, not 20%).

And it's overgraded. I saw it in person on Friday. Nice book, but not a 9.6 by any stretch.

And it's overgraded. I saw it in person on Friday. Nice book, but not a 9.6 by any stretch.

Heritage had a bunch of their books on display in Chicago?

Heritage had a bunch of their books on display in Chicago?

Yep. And the Batman #11 cover too.

If I were grading the ASM#1, I'd give it a 9.2/9.4. It's a weak 9.4/strong 9.2, mainly because of the 1/8" color breaking corner crease, the 3/16th inch jagged tear and abrasion at the bottom spine edge, abrasion to top spine edge, and some small tears at the staples (which are off center by a good margin). I think there is one small, non-color-breaking spine stress too.