• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please Grade Sandman #4

17 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, davet75 said:

if those are stains on the back cover upper left corner then it's a CGC 8.0

if those are scanner artifact and back cover is clean, then it's a 9.4

Thanks. Do you think there's a chance for a 9.8?

18 hours ago, Spawn1709 said:

By the way, the seller said that the marks on the back of the comic were NOT stains. 

ok not stains. Are they marks on the comic? scratches?

I would pass on the book, there are plenty of them out there especially if you are looking for a 9.8. And if you are looking for a 9.8: unless the book is already in a CGC 9.8 case I wouldn't buy one raw on Ebay expecting to get a 9.8.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandman-2nd-Series-4-1989-CGC-9-8-0958793009/132972970897?hash=item1ef5ce8391:g:HLYAAOSwNRJcep-j:rk:5:pf:0

Edited by Artboy99

19 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

ok not stains. Are they marks on the comic? scratches?

I would pass on the book, there are plenty of them out there especially if you are looking for a 9.8. And if you are looking for a 9.8: unless the book is already in a CGC 9.8 case I wouldn't buy one raw on Ebay expecting to get a 9.8.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandman-2nd-Series-4-1989-CGC-9-8-0958793009/132972970897?hash=item1ef5ce8391:g:HLYAAOSwNRJcep-j:rk:5:pf:0

Ebay prices are heavily inflated. They try to sell a $180 book for $300. Do you think this book won't grade well? Do you think it has a shot at a 9.8? 

Just now, Spawn1709 said:

Ebay prices are heavily inflated. They try to sell a $180 book for $300. Do you think this book won't grade well? Do you think it has a shot at a 9.8? 

I don't see a 9.8

Back cover scratches, and the front cover top right is blunted.

16 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I don't see a 9.8

Back cover scratches, and the front cover top right is blunted.

Darn. What grade do you see? 

P.S. Assuming the marks on the back are manufacturing defects, do you think the copy will be able to get a 9.8?

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

9.2 - 9.4 unless those are scratches then lower

Ok. I was thinking a bit higher, but maybe you are just stricter at grading than I am (or I'm missing something obvious) :)

Regardless, opinions are appreciated. Thank you! 

Edited by Spawn1709

38 minutes ago, Spawn1709 said:

Ok. I was thinking a bit higher, but maybe you are just stricter at grading than I am (or I'm missing something obvious) :)

Regardless, opinions are appreciated. Thank you! 

bear in mind I am looking at a scan. It is always best to grade a book when it is in hand. What looks like a blunted corner in the scan could be my eyes playing tricks on me. the cover is very "busy" it has a lot going on and detail in the art.

I do think the top right corner is blunted and I also see a spine tick. I am a very strict grader. I am usually right though.

I have a few copies of the book, this is making me want to dig them out and have a closer look at my own.

Edited by Artboy99

I think you should always play it safe and be strict like Artboy99   when your buying a comic like yours . If you get a bump after grading its a nice bonus.

The "A"  in Sandman also has the same type of marking as the back cover, looks like a dirty scanner for sure.  I would wait for a better image if your expecting a 9.8

Edited by Loki6768
more information

11 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

bear in mind I am looking at a scan. It is always best to grade a book when it is in hand. What looks like a blunted corner in the scan could be my eyes playing tricks on me. the cover is very "busy" it has a lot going on and detail in the art.

I do think the top right corner is blunted and I also see a spine tick. I am a very strict grader. I am usually right though.

I have a few copies of the book, this is making me want to dig them out and have a closer look at my own.

Fair enough. Thank you!

I think that spine tick is on all the copies. I've seen 9.8s with that spine tick. Same goes for some of the marks on the back cover.

8 hours ago, Loki6768 said:

I think you should always play it safe and be strict like Artboy99   when your buying a comic like yours . If you get a bump after grading its a nice bonus.

The "A"  in Sandman also has the same type of marking as the back cover, looks like a dirty scanner for sure.  I would wait for a better image if your expecting a 9.8

Seller has multiple copies. I think the one he sent me doesn't have those marks (at least that's what he told me).