• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scooby Doo #1 (1970) centerfold question?

16 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Philreal said:

So I see this copy with this centerfold:

s-l1600.jpg

and I see this copy without it:

s-l1600.jpg

so is this one missing the centerfold or are there two different varieties? 

count the pages

2 minutes ago, kav said:

count the pages

Hi Kav,

unfortunately they are both for sale on ebay. I guess I could ask each to give me a page count but seeing as the centerfold in the 1st doesn't have a story line to it apparently even on the sides you cant see, could it just have been left out in some copies?

1 minute ago, Philreal said:

Hi Kav,

unfortunately they are both for sale on ebay. I guess I could ask each to give me a page count but seeing as the centerfold in the 1st doesn't have a story line to it apparently even on the sides you cant see, could it just have been left out in some copies?

Almost certainly a missing centerfold.  Make that certainly.

2 minutes ago, Philreal said:

Thanks Badger! 

image.thumb.png.911fa4b2708f5a7f271c592d94b823a2.png

image.thumb.png.eb7d37ba434cd74468ef3624a0191a38.png

So if missing I'm assuming CGC would catch that during grading process and be labeled as incomplete?

I remember a wonder woman with missing centerfold in grading contest got a 0.5 grade.  

Edited by kav

Just now, Philreal said:

just saw this so I guess that answers that question:

image.png.a30402b263b4a7cc346ea9d2118d63cf.png

Yeah, it got a qualified 5.5. Not sure I agree that an incomplete should be eligible for a qualified grade but there you have it.

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yeah, it got a qualified 5.5. Not sure I agree that an incomplete should be eligible for a qualified grade but there you have it.

If it affected story I bet it wouldnt.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

??? That's the best use for the Qualified grade. You could have 2 books that are technically 0.5, but what's there may be NM for the first copy while the other one looks like it had been sitting at the bottom of a birdcage for a decade.

Just now, kav said:

Golly so that's wut qualified grades are for!  Thx professor!

Sigh... @kav PM me.  You of all people need to see something. 

18 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

??? That's the best use for the Qualified grade. You could have 2 books that are technically 0.5, but what's there may be NM for the first copy while the other one looks like it had been sitting at the bottom of a birdcage for a decade.

Not really, at least in my opinion, incomplete is incomplete. The qualified grade was created for e.g. a popped  staple on an otherwise NM book. Do you take the blue 6.0 or the green 9.4? Meh. When you start glossing over such major not so obvious damage you start down the proverbial slippery slope.

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

Not really, at least in my opinion, incomplete is incomplete. The qualified grade was created for e.g. a popped  staple on an otherwise NM book. Do you take the blue 6.0 or the green 9.4? Meh. When you start glossing over such major not so obvious damage you start down the proverbial slippery slope.

??? Where is the value in assigning a 0.5 grade to two books each missing the centerfold when one looks pristine while the other is torn, soiled, and creased?

It's much worse to qualify something like a popped staple.

10 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

??? Where is the value in assigning a 0.5 grade to two books each missing the centerfold when one looks pristine while the other is torn, soiled, and creased?

It's much worse to qualify something like a popped staple.

One of the reasons why the Green label is not liked is that the range of defects it hides is literally from the almost inconsequential, like a name on the first page, to being incomplete. Torn, soiled, and creased is obvious but a green label that is hiding the fact a book is incomplete is far from obvious and it confuses newbies about how much they should pay. The point of CGC is to help remove the uncertainty about grades when buying. A Green label on an incomplete book just leads to confusion.