• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wall crawling ability explained
1 1

30 posts in this topic

I always thought spider man's most unbelievable power was sticking to walls.  I just learned geckos and other criiters stick to walls by electrostatic attraction.  A strong enough electrostatic attraction would even work thru his gloves!  Of course this is not how spiders stick to walls so it doesnt really explain anything I guess.  

1 minute ago, 01TheDude said:

image.png.879f30e076f3d9f1e137fcfa2bad9715.png

His jumping high and stuff doesnt make sense tho-the only reason insects can do that is due to their light mass and weak gravitational interaction with Earth.  A man sized grasshopper wouldn't jump hardly at all.  Same with the strength deal.  Sure an ant can lift many times it's weight because of the mass issue.  A man sized ant wouldnt be able to lift squat.

7 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

think about the movie the FLy-- the more recent one with Goldblum -- his crawling onthe walls doesn't makes sense to me because I think flies are able to do that due to the rough surface of a wall compared to their tiny size. A large man-fly-- would have mostly smooth surface to grip.

Thats true of rough surfaces but to walk on glass they have small hairs and exude a sticky film.

2 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I did not know about the sticky film-- interesting. I guess The Fly still sort of works-- especially in that movie as he was pretty sticky-gooey most of the time.

Spider Man would have been more realistic if he injected venom into small animals that denatures all the protein then sucked out the juice.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

Spider Man would have been more realistic if he injected venom into small animals that denatures all the protein then sucked out the juice.

But what kind of comic would that be?  :sick:

Also, I believe in the first Toby movie it showed the small hairs helping him climb. 

1 minute ago, 01TheDude said:
9 minutes ago, kav said:

That is how he killed Gwen Stacy

SPOILER ALERT!! 

Just now, Spidey 62 said:

But what kind of comic would that be?  :sick:

Also, I believe in the first Toby movie it showed the small hairs helping him climb. 

The hair theory dont work-how did they get thru his boot soles?  And they would have gotten tangled in his gloves and been ripped out painfully when he tried to take his gloves off.

His biggest power in that movie is yelling without moving his mouth 1:47

Edited by kav

6 minutes ago, kav said:

The hair theory dont work-how did they get thru his boot soles?  And they would have gotten tangled in his gloves and been ripped out painfully when he tried to take his gloves off.

I don't disagree, but it is what they showed.  I don't know exactly how the actual physics could work.  Although I do have a book called "the physics of superheroes".  It may try to explain it in there. 

1 minute ago, Spidey 62 said:

I don't disagree, but it is what they showed.  I don't know exactly how the actual physics could work.  Although I do have a book called "the physics of superheroes".  It may try to explain it in there. 

I read that book-it's pretty unimpressive.  Doesnt really explain any more than some teenage comic fans might come up with.

11 hours ago, kav said:

I always thought spider man's most unbelievable power was sticking to walls.  I just learned geckos and other criiters stick to walls by electrostatic attraction.  A strong enough electrostatic attraction would even work thru his gloves!  Of course this is not how spiders stick to walls so it doesnt really explain anything I guess.  

It's just like what makes Superman fly faster or at all.

An aside, but, every time I read Spider-Man nowadays, I always think, what the heck would happen if his web fluid ever ran out from lofty heights? Splat. I hope he invented an infinite and 100% reliable web-shooter.  I know it's just comics, but, can't dodge that thought. 

Edited by bronze_rules

Spiders are known to utilize the electrostatic attractions between oppositely-charged materials to cling to various surfaces. For those surfaces that have very low molecular ionic charges, the spider will actually utilize the hydrophobic nature of those materials to adhere their own cellular membranes similar to how oil droplets join together in a watery solution. So for nearly any surface, a spider will use electrostatic and hydrophobic attractions to adhere to nearly any surface. Similar forces result in the "stickyness" of their web. Spider-man's suit actually amplifies these molecular forces by using fine amounts of rare-earth magnets embedded into the threading of the suit especially near the hands and feet. As such, it really comes down to electricity and magnets. Or not. 

Edited by jcjames

6 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Spiders are known to utilize the electrostatic attractions between oppositely-charged materials to cling to various surfaces. For those surfaces that have very low molecular ionic charges, the spider will actually utilize the hydrophobic nature of those materials to adhere their own cellular membranes similar to how oil droplets join together in a watery solution. So for nearly any surface, a spider will use electrostatic and hydrophobic attractions to adhere to nearly any surface. Similar forces result in the "stickyness" of their web. Spider-man's suit actually amplifies these molecular forces by using fine amounts of rare-earth magnets embedded into the threading of the suit especially near the hands and feet. As such, it really comes down to electricity and magnets. Or not. 

Spiders utilize settae to cling-not electrostatic attraction.  They have a tough time on glass due to this.  

10 minutes ago, jcjames said:

No theory utilizing a suit's enhancing capabilities can be acceptable.  In AF 15, he jumped onto a wall and stuck, sans suit.  Now, it is conceivable, I suppose that there are other forces or derivatives of existing forces that we are not aware of. But similar to an insect being able to gradually land without a huge deathly impact (air resistance having greater effect, less force of gravity due to smaller mass), it's the macro/micro scale that messes with most of the insect/man physics theory.

Edited by bronze_rules

46 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

No theory utilizing a suit's enhancing capabilities can be acceptable.  In AF 15, he jumped onto a wall and stuck, sans suit.  Now, it is conceivable, I suppose that there are other forces or derivatives of existing forces that we are not aware of. But similar to an insect being able to gradually land without a huge deathly impact (air resistance having greater effect, less force of gravity due to smaller mass), it's the macro/micro scale that messes with most of the insect/man physics theory.

Yeah and I was just throwing stuff out there. Had a little time on my hands and just started BSing :D

Eventually technology will make virtually any super power feasible.  Energy fields, nanotech, bioware etc will allow people to fly, repel bombs, regenerate tissues, see into all wavelengths of the spectrum, etc.

19 minutes ago, kav said:

Eventually technology will make virtually any super power feasible.  Energy fields, nanotech, bioware etc will allow people to fly, repel bombs, regenerate tissues, see into all wavelengths of the spectrum, etc.

I agree with a lot of this. The macro/micro issue still exists though. No matter how we mimic from one scale to another, the laws of physics apply differently in both domains.  And acting forces are pretty much fixed, based on the domain.  We'd somehow have to augment our organic biology with non-biological systems to overcome things like gravity. I was always blown away to learn that at the sub-atomic level, there are huge air gaps between atoms in molecules. We'd never expect that on the perceived macro scale.

Imagine that some day, each genotype/phenotype individual will vary based on wealth... etc.. unfairness will always exist. Some will be more powerful, etc... dominating over others, of course.

Edited by bronze_rules