• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please grade this Kaanga #12!
2 2

8 posts in this topic

Very pretty flat FC with full color; BC almost looks like it's from a different book, with chips to ULC and stain that goes through LLC and several pages behind it. Thanks all!

kaanga12.jpg.77044c77661d5620023a7bbbf3368fde.jpg

kaanga12back.jpg.fb0adee2816c8817f255eaf990c9b237.jpg

back cover 1" triangular piece missing, corner stain, light soiling on back cover along with tanning/dust shadow, front cover small piece (or folded corner) out of upper right corner, staining on the N of KANGA

CGC 3.5, possibly a GA bump to 4.0 (stains and missing pieces are typical for the VG grade, though these are both significant)

This is so interesting to me because of the back cover. I used to always grade the b/c same as the front. Tanning/ soiling, pieces missing I would grade down accordingly depending on how severe. But it seems there are no rules for this. In fact I have seen older books like this where CGC seemed to almost ignore the condition of the b/c. I would grade it 4.5-5.0 but I would guess CGC would grade it 6.0 maybe even higher due to that beautiful front cover. I have several books like this in my collection and I'd love to continue this conversation.

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

This is so interesting to me because of the back cover. I used to always grade the b/c same as the front. Tanning/ soiling, pieces missing I would grade down accordingly depending on how severe. But it seems there are no rules for this. In fact I have seen older books like this where CGC seemed to almost ignore the condition of the b/c. I would grade it 4.5-5.0 but I would guess CGC would grade it 6.0 maybe even higher due to that beautiful front cover. I have several books like this in my collection and I'd love to continue this conversation.

CGC grades on structure, not just appearance, and they definitely take back cover flaws into consideration. I agree with the gents above... the book is more VGish than Fine because of the back cover issues. (Which makes sense; if I received a book graded as Fine with a piece missing and a corner stain nipping the pages I'd be disappointed.) But if this is a VG or thereabouts, it's nicer-than-average for the grade, and I would (and did) price it accordingly.

If you want to discuss further, post your back-cover-flaw books in this forum! We can give 'em a shot. (thumbsu