• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S. Craig Zahler's (Bone Tomahawk) DRAGGED ACROSS CONCRETE (2019)

5 posts in this topic

DEADLINE ‘Dragged Across Concrete’ Review

I have been watching closely the career of writer-director S. Craig Zahler, who tackles different genres with a style and ferocity not often seen these days. He did that to the western format in the cult hit Bone Tomahawk and followed up with an equally brutal peek into the prison system in Brawl in Cell Block 99. Now he takes on the crime format with a fervor that few filmmakers seem willing to try anymore.

Zahler also takes risks in these action formats by putting the brakes on the obligatory relentlessly paced playbook most of them follow, focusing instead on character relationships and development while taking his time to put all the pieces of his story together. That certainly is the case with Dragged Across Concrete, a two-hour, 38-minute violent but pulsating crime drama starring Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn as suspended detectives dipping dangerously into the other side of the law and giving two of the best performances of their careers.

Definitely looks different.

Edited by Bosco685

When I read or hear the phrase, "Dragged Across Concrete" what immediately comes to mind is the Next-Level Curb stomp by Vaughn from Brawl in Cell Block 99. I similarly cannot "unsee" that. That said, I'll watch anything this director does. What happens when he makes a horror picture? Perish the thought. I'm in for this.

S. Craig Zahler’s latest film is a true master stroke in filmmaking. It is elegantly slow, contained, precise and notably beautifully framed throughout. It is an unflinching carefully crafted take on a genre worn rather thin. It is by far one of the best films of 2019 so far.

The -script is meticulous and dialogue heavy, as most of the film is set during the stake out. It proves to be a character study that fleshes out every minute detail. With moments of shock, seriousness and tension it brilliantly juxtaposes from the comedic elements that knowingly balances itself perfectly.

I cannot give enough praise to this film. Dragged Across Concrete is an artful masterclass in filmmaking. Slow and contained, Zahler’s beautifully tension-filled vision shines through its steady precision.

5/5 Stars