• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who created "The Marvel Age of Comics"?

23 posts in this topic

So,...who created Sider-Man? Lee? Ditko? Kirby? Joe Simon?

Any simularites between The Challengers of the Unknown & The Fantastic Four?

Just thought it would/could be interesting,.......or not. juggle.gif

For example: In Joe Simon's "The Comic Book Makers", he describes creating a character named The Silver Spider in the mid to late 50's. He talks with Kirby about it. Kirby talks to Lee about it. Lee talks to Ditko and gives him the rough ideas.Supposedly, Ditko scraps all the original concepts (web-shooting gun is one concept) and re-creates the character in his own vision, complete with web-shooters.

Just an example,...... juggle.gif

I wrote this in the Gold section, but you moved here so...

Keep in mind, he was editor from 1941 (?) up, and didn't really do all that much Earth shattering until Kirby & Ditko joined the team. Close to 20 years of somewhat mediocre (sp?) books until FF # 1. He was a top-rate promoter with a keen sense of his fan base though!

you know, that rings true. But think about it: just who were Stan's collaborators on all those awful comics for those lost uninspired 20 years???? OH lets see, there was Kirby, Ditko, Heck, Maneely, Ayers etc etc Or was that the post '61 MARVEL bullpen too?

Is it any less easy to believe that Stan "woke up" creatively with FF#1 than to believe Jack Kirby did? I think we have to face up to the fact that these guys were banging out craapola for a living for their whole lives at that point, and finally the time was ripe and a new idea STUCK an dcaught kids (and college kids') imaginations! And then they all cranked it up---Stan giving direction, marketing and scripting, and Jack and the artists plotting the actual stories panel by panel and huge creative input as to powers, costumes, casts of characters and villains.

I always think of it as a wild fun ride all of a sudden for them after toiling in embarassment and obscurity until well into their 40s and nobody was thinking about who did what and who ot credit for creating anything.....until it was all worth some money! Then feelings got hurt and some were left out of the rewards... like nearly everybody...

you remember his theme song: "SIder Man, Soder Man, making Sider like Grandma can"

No, no, no,...it's Siderman, the first Jewish hero:

"Look, up there,...oh vay,....it's Siderman !!!"

Get with the program! makepoint.gif

Lee and Kirby, it seems, did the ground breaking work on most of the key books. Don Heck and Ayers had significant supporting roles. Steve Ditko came up to bat after mighty Kirby on Amazing Spider-man and did with it what no one else could do.

Lee added a high level of soap opera and humour and unified the books into a "universe". He also promoted astounding well, both inside and outside of the comics. I was 12 years old in 1966 and because of Lee I thought I was one of people in the know. A million other boys in their early teens did too.

Martin Goodman played golf, hired family and understood what to imitate.

I've emailed to owner of the site before. He claims to have scans for most of the books, but is waiting for better scans before adding the missing issues. I said "why don't you just go ahead and post the scans and upgrade them when they come along?" confused-smiley-013.gif

Never got a response. I was was polite and told him how much I enjoyed the site, so go figure.

It really is a good one! thumbsup2.gif

I've emailed to owner of the site before. He claims to have scans for most of the books, but is waiting for better scans before adding the missing issues. I said "why don't you just go ahead and post the scans and upgrade them when they come along?" confused-smiley-013.gif

Never got a response. I was was polite and told him how much I enjoyed the site, so go figure.

It really is a good one! thumbsup2.gif

too bad, The site's great and give a clear picture of the development of the Marvel Age. Seeing each months releases puts it all in perspectiveFor instance, I never realized that the prototype issue of Strange Tales 97 with Aunt May was only 2 MONTHS before Amazing Fantasy 15 came out!! You know, we often take many of these "prototype Atlas" issues with a grain of salt - - - some are a real stretch - - - but THIS one with just 60 days between Ditko drawing one old lady and then Aunt May (which given it was only to be a another oneshot tale) if pretty good evidence that ST97 influenced Ditkos pencil on AF15.