• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Incredible Hulk 347 1st Mr. Fixit

4 posts in this topic

Hey all.  So after watching the Weekly Top 10 on TomComics, I went through my old collection and dug out an old copy of Mr. Fixit's first appearance in the Incredible Hulk.  I think the top part of the book suffered a smidgeon of spine roll over the years, although it may have been that way when I bought it. 

Does CGC try to re-align the books that are submitted for a quick press?  For that matter, what do they do differently for a standard press?  How does cover alignment typically affect grade?

Total noob questions, I'm sure, but I have zero experience, and I'm about to send in my first batch (some quick press, some standard press, and some straight up grading with no press even necessary).  I have my own opinions about the overall quality of this one, but I thought I'd ask to see how my amateur opinion stacks up.  Apologies in advance for the photography.

HPIM5977.thumb.JPG.3261978ef8ad23fda1e3fcf0811dcfd7.JPGHPIM5978.thumb.JPG.034b6b02b43f0da4e94e6e0aec4234f3.JPGHPIM5975.thumb.JPG.89ad2138a3781bdf5522d5ca86d28e60.JPGHPIM5981.thumb.JPG.8302b04abced20588321b4af152539f4.JPGHPIM5976.thumb.JPG.545eb727b3bfc9955f88c4ae71cce9ce.JPGHPIM5985.thumb.JPG.b25daef786f0ff85c3df48b685e1d22a.JPGHPIM5979.thumb.JPG.398fff1b9f958d9dae89c8bfda808a28.JPGHPIM5980.thumb.JPG.203b262dfa6923ec16c455810adaeedb.JPG

Also, you can BARELY see them in the photos, but there are a number of TINY spine ticks on the front.  Three appear to break color, but are each less than 1/4 of an inch.  The others MIGHT be an 1/8th of an inch each, but they're super tiny.  One of the three "big" ones is just under the issue number box, the second and most visible is on the Hulk's bicep, and the third (2nd most visible) is on girl's thigh.  The ticks on the back don't appear to break color.

Another noob question - how do non-color-breaking ticks affect grade?  And can they be pressed out when they're so close to the spine?

Happy grading, and thanks for the help!

Edited by Artlover1

Just now, Casablanca said:

Non-color breaks should not affect grade. Cannot be pressed out. This does not appear to be a spine issue, but the way it was cut. I dont think its anything to be fixed. its the way you bought it.

The pages look yellow though..whats up with that?..cream to off-white pages is not great

16 hours ago, Casablanca said:

The pages look yellow though..whats up with that?..cream to off-white pages is not great

I bought it when I was living in Florida over ten years ago.  It was unbagged when I bought it - probably sat in a dollar bin exposed to humid, southland air from late 80s when it came out to late 90's when I bought it.  Southern humidity has ruined a lot of good books (even when they're bagged), that's all I can guess. 

I've kept it bagged and boarded since, but you're right, the pages definitely lean towards off-white.  The image above is suffering from low light, which makes it appear worse than it is, but I just looked up one of those OWL charts, and while the pages aren't yellow or tan, they're not entirely white either.  I'd say Off White.  How does THAT typically affect grading?

Edited by Artlover1