• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thank You Marty, For Inspiring Another Cool Quest!

25 posts in this topic

A few weeks ago, Marty Mann posted this on his "Top Two" thread:

I didn't clip many coupons from the books in my collection but one I did clip was inside the back cover of DETECTIVE #135.  I sent for a copy of the DAISY HANDBOOK using the coupon, ten cents and an unused 3 cent stamp.

IMG  DETECTIVE #135 BC  (200 dpi).jpg

When I saw this, I was blown away.  I love Robotman, and this may be the only time I've seen him on the cover of a comic.  And that there was a publication that mixed together stories by DC (Robotman, Boy Commandos, etc.) with Fawcett (Captain Marvel, Ibis, etc.) and other publishers?  Why hadn't I ever heard of this!?!

Edited by sfcityduck

The Daisy Handbook No. 2 is not an expensive book.  And they aren't rare, you can find them pretty easily on eBay

Or at least I didn't think they are rare, until I learned something really important about the Daisy Handbook No. 2.

But, before I go into that, let me emphasise, that although these things are 4.5 inches x about 5.5 inches or so, and contain some non-comic content, including a Daisy catalogue, they definitely should be considered a comic:

Image result for DAisy Handbook 2

Edited by sfcityduck

As I'm prone to do, I was researching the Daisy Handbook, looking at auction results and ads for it, when I realised something important which made the idea of seeking out a Daisy Handbook even more cool.

There are multiple versions of the Daisy Handbook!  Some rarer then others, which I'll discuss below.  And one of those versions has a really cool feature:

Yep.  Some Daisy Handbook 2's came with a package of Daisy BBs included!  

And that's when I thought, now this is a quest worth undertaking!  I sought out to find a Daisy Handbook 2 with BBs.

Edited by sfcityduck

Digressing back to the issue of the variants of the Daisy Handbook No. 2, it's been known that two different back cover versions exist:

(1) The "Boys Bill of Rights" version which Hakes says is the most common version:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Miscellaneous, Daisy Handbook #2 (Daisy Manufacturing Co., 1948) Condition: VG.Captain Marvel, Ibis the Invincible, Red Ryder, the Boy Com...

And (2) the "Gun-n-scope target outfit" version which is apparently rarer:

Memorabilia:Miscellaneous, Daisy Handbook #2 (Daisy Manufacturing Co., 1948) Condition: VG+.Pocket-sized collection of several comic features, includi...

Edited by sfcityduck

Thank you sfcityduck for honoring what I consider one of my all time favorite collectibles...I was truly thrilled

when I received it in the mail.

I always thought the AIR RIFLES CATALOG contained in the centerfold was terrific...only wished I could buy

everything.

IMG  BOYS RANCHDAISY CENTER   (200 dpi).jpg

IMG  BOYS RANCHDAISY CENTER 2   (200 dpi)_0001.jpg

IMG  BOYS RANCHDAISY CENTER 2   (200 dpi)_0003.jpg

IMG  BOYS RANCHDAISY CENTER 3   (200 dpi).jpg

Edited by Marty Mann

18 hours ago, telerites said:

I bought this raw and had it graded.  Tt actually had the original mailer included.  I need to check the BC.  I had a pic of the mailer though

1505181827381.jpg

1062102793_daisyhandbook2mailer.thumb.jpg.4f2eb2f51f0c5452a41c0bacceff2e51.jpg

This is incredibly beautiful and super cool! I'll post pics of mine, but it's no where near as nice as your top of census gem!  Thanks for posting the mailer, I was wondering what they looked like.  

And now I'm wondering:  Does CGC do mailers? 

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

This is incredibly beautiful and super cool! I'll post pics of mine, but it's no where near as nice as your top of census gem!  Thanks for posting the mailer, I was wondering what they looked like.  

And now I'm wondering:  Does CGC do mailers? 

Thanks.  It was advertised as high grade.  I don't remember what it hammered at but I was happy after I had it hand.  The mailer really made it special for me.  I like the ancillary stuff.

I doubt CGC would grade the mailer unless perhaps there was some comic character or art on it?

Love seeing things you post,  Lots of great information/background along with the pics.

...off topic from the books at the center of the post, but a nod to the amazing @Marty Mann nonetheless

Both these books reside in my collection due to my seeing Marty post copies. The Ideal Comics is a mystery. More than once i have opened the door for conversation is this the first TRUE Timely/Atlas Horror book, but no takers hm (A strangled man, a stalker with a Skull handled cane in Whitechapel district London -an obvious nod to Jack the Ripper). Don't know what the interior contents hold, as i bought it strictly for the cover (being obsessed with conspiracy theory 'unsolved' historic murders (JFK, MLK, RFK, WHITECHAPEL). 

Guess i will have to break down and buy a raw copy to solve the mystery myself.

Also is this aggressive but funny Moon Mullins cover.  Thanks @Marty Mann

Ideal Comics #2 (2nd series).jpg

Moon Mullins #5.jpg

Edited by sagii