• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STERANKO ART IS SO COOL

37 posts in this topic

why not compare him to other artists. while i will agree that he did innovation work in comics. why he did so little work. is beyond me. and just because he did so little work he does not deserve to be in a catagory all his own.

so while yes. a few die hard fans will pay thru the nose for steranko. that fine, he does not deserve to be put above king kirby and a few others. great he is a god he is not. larry

I am simply explaining why his work is so valuable. Supply and demand, my friend...

As for why he did so little work.... he simply couldn't work within the rules of the comic industry. He worked at his own pace, hated the censorship that had been perpetrated on him, and found better paying work outside of comics.

ok. i understand the whole supply and demand thing. iam new to the board not to the hobby. i was just saying that you can not be separated from a group of artists because of the amount of work you did. that was my main point. larry

The reserve on the Steranko splash from X-Men #50 is $12,500. That would blow the doors off of any sale of a Steranko X-Men page. The current bid is only $500 away from the reserve. It will be interesting to see what this one finishes at.

Keep in mind that this is probably the best Steranko piece that has been offered publicly for sale in years. It's not a question of whether it's his best work or not, but rather a question of whether it's the best available and what someone is willing to pay to have it. If one of his top mind-blowing pages from Cap 110, 111 or 113 or NF #1-3 and #5 were to come up for sale, it would certainly go for more, but at that point, you could be talking close to $20K for it.

I think it's one of his better pages from the time period. The figures aren't the strongest, but the architectural design with "THE DEVIL HAD A DAUGHTER" intergrated in it is quite cool.

well. you have a good point. but if iam sitting on 20.000 and i just want a good steranko in my collection. then iam going to wait for one of them cap pages to surface. hell i would take a shield page over an x-man page. even steranko agrees it was his worse work. why settle for a peice you really don,t want. just because it the only new steranko to come up for sale. i don,t see the need to max out the credit card or apply for a loan. buy hey that just me. what ever floats you boat.

it just going to make the cap and shield pages go even higher for sure.

larry

There's no question that a "better" splash, say from his Cap run, would cost 30-40K, if not more. So, 15-20K for this splash is not unreasonable. Like you said, it's already at 12K, so hitting and exceeding reserve is likely. If I hadn't spent so much lately, there's no question at all that I'd bid over 15K.

Best,

I could be wrong, but I believe that some of Steranko's Shadow paintings are in private hands. Could you imagine what one of those would sell for?

I don't know how many of the prized comic pieces still exist in Steranko's hands. I've never seen any Silver Age original art at shows that he has attended. Usually I see 70's and later paintings and early 70's Marvel covers.

Hi Larry,

Much of this is subjective, of course, but it would be worth over 15K to me personally. I know of other more "famous" splashes offered privately in the 30-50K range, so 15K sounds reasonable for a "lesser" splash. We'll see if others feel that way too, when the curtain falls.

Take care,

I'd say $3,500 or $4,000, but you never know who's bidding, we might have 2 really big steranko fans with big pockets!

That piece is great, Steranko is damn cool, but I think I would rather get a good Cap or Nick Fury page by him before an X-Men one...

Aaah, if only I had the money...

So far,..17K,..a bit more than the 3K - 4k range laugh.gif

Looks like OA is going up !!!

I think either comics need to come down in value or OA needs to go up.

How much would a Batman # 11 in 10.00 go for anyways ????????

The answer to this question shows the "multiple disparity" when comparing OA with comics.

Hi Larry,

I thought about it. But it comes down to the fact that I personally like my interior X-Men page much better than this splash (from the same issue). So, getting the splash isn't really much of an upgrade in my mind.

Here's my interior page....

steranko-xmen51p5.JPG