• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: Marvel Tales 33-41 & Marvel's Greatest # 34-40 in NM

43 posts in this topic

If you have any true NM issues of Marvel Tales # 33-41 & Marvel's Greatest Comics # 34-40 I would be interested in buying them from you and will pay above Guide. Certified or raw, it doesn't matter. Drop me a line if can help me out.

Man, for a second there, I thought you were SELLING them. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I wish I had doubles to sell. I wish had decent copies for myself.

Some people laugh when you tell them the reprint Picture Frames are tough in HG...then I kindly direct them to the census. Imagine...Bronze Marvels that have no population counts because certain issues have never even been submitted for grading. Must be plentiful though....screwy.gif.

I must be lucky then as I've found most all of these in HG. Got a number of them from Metro a couple of years ago...

What do those two statements have in common? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif OK...you got me...6 of 8 actually arrived in the promised grade. Which is a pretty good average above their norm...

On this topic...Marvel Tales are more available and easier to find in HG than Marvel's Greatest. More Spidey collectors than FF I assume...

Jim

Some people laugh when you tell them the reprint Picture Frames are tough in HG...then I kindly direct them to the census. Imagine...Bronze Marvels that have no population counts because certain issues have never even been submitted for grading. Must be plentiful though....screwy.gif.

Are you saying that these are tough in HG or are you being sarcastic?

Are you saying that these are tough in HG or are you being sarcastic?

Both. smile.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if nearly all Marvel reprints with 20 cent covers are scarce. I've got MT 35, MGC37, X-Men 77 and up, bought off the racks at various 7-11s and the local news agency (Westmont News Agency, in New Jersey) back in the day. Few approach NM condition, and generally they are in lesser shape than other Marvels purchased around the same time. The reason is that being reprint books, they simply weren't read or stored with the same care that went into maintaining the high grade quality of the nonreprints.

That's my theory, based on personal experience, and I'm sticking to it. sumo.gif

That's my theory, based on personal experience, and I'm sticking to it. sumo.gif

My theory is you tended to read these while eating Monster Taffys and Now or Laters and got the comics all sticky... poke2.gifflowerred.gif

Jim

I wouldn't be surprised if nearly all Marvel reprints with 20 cent covers are scarce. I've got MT 35, MGC37, X-Men 77 and up, bought off the racks at various 7-11s and the local news agency (Westmont News Agency, in New Jersey) back in the day. Few approach NM condition, and generally they are in lesser shape than other Marvels purchased around the same time. The reason is that being reprint books, they simply weren't read or stored with the same care that went into maintaining the high grade quality of the nonreprints.

They also suffered from irregular publishing schedules, which probably helped contribute to their scarcity. In another thread a year or so ago, I chronicaled how Marvel Triple Action (the Avengers reprints) cover dates jumped from monthly to bimonthly to quarterly and back again several times during its run. The anal collectors of the day who would normally buy and keep these books in newstand shape probably gave up on certain titles when they couldn't buy them regularly.

And for the better part of the last 20+ years, the reprint titles were generally put into dollar bins and treated with disdain, also contributing to their difficulty in high grade.

But hey, if you do find them, you can often get them pretty cheap because few people care about them. Can't say that about too many 30+ year old Marvels. smile.gif

Marvel Tales are more available and easier to find in HG than Marvel's Greatest. More Spidey collectors than FF I assume...

This is definitely true for this era, and I have multiples of most of the Spidey issues, but I still need a 9.x of that black Silver Surfer cover in MGC. frustrated.gif

I find it really hard to believe that Marvel Tales above 34 is scarce. I mean it only guides for $7 in NM-. I highly doubt collectors are clamoring to get their copies slabbed at a loss, with grading fees being higher than the value of the book.

The same can be said of Marvel's Greatest Comics, with issue 35 and up being less than $12 per issue.

I don't think very many collectors have gone to trouble to slab their books because they may not feel their is a market for them based in guide values.

Oh, definitely the slabbed numbers are down or nonexistent due to the low values and high CGC rates for a 1972 book, and the low Guide and demand also accounts for their less-than stellar visibility on EBay.

They are out there, but still a bit rarer than the mainstream superhero books.

I have bought reprint lots off EBay and received NM copies here and there, and I am sure there are NM singles in those "8.0-9.4" Showcase runs, but they're not worth enough to break out. To find a specific issue, sometimes you need to get lucky.

I would agree that the MT and MGC are less plentiful than say any ASM issue, or other superhero mainstream title.

Although it would be difficult to tell what the slabbed market would be because of the lack of sales data on them. We all know that Uber-HG copies would sell for a premium regardless of guide value.

I would also include not only these two reprint titles, but many of the others as well. Titles like Marvel Triple Action, Marvel Feature, Marvel Adventures, etc.

I find it really hard to believe that Marvel Tales above 34 is scarce. I mean it only guides for $7 in NM-. I highly doubt collectors are clamoring to get their copies slabbed at a loss, with grading fees being higher than the value of the book.

The same can be said of Marvel's Greatest Comics, with issue 35 and up being less than $12 per issue.

I don't think very many collectors have gone to trouble to slab their books because they may not feel their is a market for them based in guide values.

As someone who collects high grade copies of the reprint books, I would disagree with your assessment.

Reprint books are in demand by a number of collectors, as evidenced by record sales last year of Marvel Triple Action # 1 in 9.6 (typically $250+) and a 9.8 for $727. Not bad for a book that Guided last year for $22 in 9.2

Marvel Double Feature # 1 also fetched multiples around ten times Guide for 9.6s and a 9.8 for 22x Guide.

Just remember that 3-4 years ago, most Marvel 20 centers were under $10 in the Guide, yet droves of the mainline superhero issues were submitted back when people were paying crazy multiples for 9.4-9.8 certified copies. How come so few of the reprint issues were submitted back when the market still allowed people to sub these cheap books because a high multiple was all but guaranteed?

I just counted seven total copies of Marvel's Greatest Comics between 34-39 in 9.4 and above in the census. Considering all the high grade FF collectors out there who've subbed the relatively cheap Bronze issues in droves, it seems to me if the reprint issues weren't legitimately scarce, we would see more of them.

As someone who collects high grade copies of the reprint books, I would disagree with your assessment.

Reprint books are in demand by a number of collectors, as evidenced by record sales last year of Marvel Triple Action # 1 in 9.6 (typically $250+) and a 9.8 for $727. Not bad for a book that Guided last year for $22 in 9.2

Marvel Double Feature # 1 also fetched multiples around ten times Guide for 9.6s and a 9.8 for 22x Guide.

Just remember that 3-4 years ago, most Marvel 20 centers were under $10 in the Guide, yet droves of the mainline superhero issues were submitted back when people were paying crazy multiples for 9.4-9.8 certified copies. How come so few of the reprint issues were submitted back when the market still allowed people to sub these cheap books because a high multiple was all but guaranteed?

I just counted seven total copies of Marvel's Greatest Comics between 34-39 in 9.4 and above in the census. Considering all the high grade FF collectors out there who've subbed the relatively cheap Bronze issues in droves, it seems to me if the reprint issues weren't legitimately scarce, we would see more of them.

I suppose you only read what you want and interpret it how you want then. So it really doesn't matter what any one says, you will only believe your own opinion.

btw, I posted this ----> We all know that Uber-HG copies would sell for a premium regardless of guide value.

I suppose you only read what you want and interpret it how you want then. So it really doesn't matter what any one says, you will only believe your own opinion.

btw, I posted this ----> We all know that Uber-HG copies would sell for a premium regardless of guide value.

I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is: $100 for a Marvel's Greatest Comics # 39 in true NM. Any takers? confused-smiley-013.gif

Listen Deathlok, I appreciate your opinion and understand your reasoning. And if it wasn't for the fact that I've been looking for these books going on 2+ years now, I would be the first to accept your logic as sound. Every so often I post on these boards that I'll pay multiples of Guide for these comics, and I never get a single offer to sell. I ask dealers, go to conventions, and its always the same story.

I wish it was a matter of people just not bothering to slab them....but I can't get true NM raw copies either, no matter what the venue, so my experience tells me that they are not easy to find.

On another note, are these reprint editions present in the various pedigrees? You don't hear a lot about the lower-Guide pedigree issues, outside of those hyper-masters at Western PA, who'd sell you a WPA pedigree copy of Dazzler #1 for $400. boo.gif

If so, does anyone know what grades they received, or would receive if submitted?