• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: Marvel Tales 33-41 & Marvel's Greatest # 34-40 in NM

43 posts in this topic

I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is: $100 for a Marvel's Greatest Comics # 39 in true NM. Any takers? confused-smiley-013.gif

Listen Deathlok, I appreciate your opinion and understand your reasoning. And if it wasn't for the fact that I've been looking for these books going on 2+ years now, I would be the first to accept your logic as sound. Every so often I post on these boards that I'll pay multiples of Guide for these comics, and I never get a single offer to sell. I ask dealers, go to conventions, and its always the same story.

I wish it was a matter of people just not bothering to slab them....but I can't get true NM raw copies either, no matter what the venue, so my experience tells me that they are not easy to find.

What your saying might be true, however it sounds a lot like Ian logic. "Buzzy 70 is the rarest comic becuase I can't find it." Just because you have difficulty locating copies doesn't mean they are hard to locate. If these books exist in collection, then you will not see them until those collectors decide to part with them. Based upon guide values I don't see the incentive for collectors to make it worthwhile.

On another note, are these reprint editions present in the various pedigrees? You don't hear a lot about the lower-Guide pedigree issues, outside of those hyper-masters at Western PA, who'd sell you a WPA pedigree copy of Dazzler #1 for $400. boo.gif

If so, does anyone know what grades they received, or would receive if submitted?

Doug from Pedigree has a slew of the Oakland copies on his site...lots of nice reprints in that collection apparently. Don't really know of any others though...

Based upon guide values I don't see the incentive for collectors to make it worthwhile.

Apparently offering several multiples of Guide isn't working either...should I offer magic beans next? smile.gif

Who are you offering several multiples of Guide to?

Are you taking ads out in every major city across the US? Are you attending every convention, local and national, to meet with collectors and see if they have them?

If you are just asking dealers if they have them, then my friend you have no idea how to find those issues you need.

Based upon guide values I don't see the incentive for collectors to make it worthwhile.

Apparently offering several multiples of Guide isn't working either...should I offer magic beans next? smile.gif

Who are you offering several multiples of Guide to?

Are you taking ads out in every major city across the US? Are you attending every convention, local and national, to meet with collectors and see if they have them?

If you are just asking dealers if they have them, then my friend you have no idea how to find those issues you need.

This isn't the hunt for Ian's Buzzy # 70, nor did I ever claim the reprint issues were even close to the same level in rarity.

As for who I have spoken with....several collectors from these boards....a dozen or so top dealers (with want lists on file), two major conventions a year, eBay (actually my best resource so far, followed by Metro and BlazingBob), comiclink, Pedigree, etc.

If you really refuse to believe these books are HTF in true NM, why not peruse the major auction and comic venues and see how many are available right now. Then ask the big dealers how often they have them in stock. You apparently refuse to accept my experience as any basis for my opinion, so why not do a little detective work and see if you agree AFTER you've searched for 'em like I have.

And its not that I don't come across them, its just they are virtually never in NM 9.4 or better when I do. VF copies and lower I find, and they are out there, but true NMs.....not so much. Maybe they are out there in hoards, and both dealer and collectors don't want to bother with them because of their low Guide value...that's possible I guess, but most of the indicators say different.

Doug from Pedigree has a slew of the Oakland copies on his site...lots of nice reprints in that collection apparently.

Where on his site? I don't see them...

Jim

Not Marvel Tales or MGC, but some of the other obscure/reprint titles like My Love, Chili, etc. Lots of nice Oakland copies there....

Doug from Pedigree has a slew of the Oakland copies on his site...lots of nice reprints in that collection apparently.

Where on his site? I don't see them...

Jim

Not Marvel Tales or MGC, but some of the other obscure/reprint titles like My Love, Chili, etc. Lots of nice Oakland copies there....

Those My Loves are a tad pricy... insane.gif

Jim

Those My Loves are a tad pricy... insane.gif

No joke, and I don't care how *rare* these are, they're still crappy 70's romance comics (reprints at that) with only kitsch appeal.

It's not like I'm gonna buy a pile of them for $250 a shot and be able to retire in 30 years. More likely, I'll sell it for a can of dog food. tonofbricks.gif

I also wanted to note that some copies of "picture frame" reprint Marvels are far from rare, and were in various warehouse finds and stockpiles.

I remember buying some from Chuckles MH2, Joe K and some others awhile back, and they were really prime. One of them, that MTA 7 from Joe, is still being sold today I believe.

I also wanted to note that some copies of "picture frame" reprint Marvels are far from rare, and were in various warehouse finds and stockpiles.

I remember buying some from Chuckles MH2, Joe K and some others awhile back, and they were really prime. One of them, that MTA 7 from Joe, is still being sold today I believe.

MTA #4 in HG is easy to find as well...

Jim

What's the deal with the Marvel Tales issues? What's the attraction?

Original covers is one attraction...some really cool covers in the Marvel Tales run.

They are also Picture Frame covers, for those of us who give a darn. smile.gif

And depending on the issue, some are harder to get then others to various degrees. I'm sure Deathlok is right to a point...more interest and higher prices will get more into the market place, much like what happened with Marvel Triple Action # 1 last year. I'd just like to get my set together before that happens.

Thanks for the info guys......

- Mr. A-Tiny-Bit-Less-Ignorant-Now

btw....were those reprints inside all of them? I have some of the later ones where they reprinted the orignal ASM run.

Hmmm...is it worth $80 + shipping to me?

I'd buy the darn thing, but all my other reprints are raw, and it would just stick out. If he cracked it out, I'd give him $45. grin.gif

It would look nice next to my # 34 in CGC 9.6....only one on the census. smile.gif