• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE LIGHTHOUSE starring Dafoe & Pattinson (10/18/19)
1 1

16 posts in this topic

The Lighthouse revolves around Dafoe and Pattinson's mismatched duo, a pair of "wickies" (read: lighthouse attendants) who seem to find themselves under a great deal of mental strain while working together on a remote island. I've gone out of my way not to be spoiled on The Lighthouse, but I gather that one of these guys is more experienced than the other, and that all may not be as it seems on that island.

As previously reported, the film's presented in a most unusual format: academy ratio, in glorious black and white (those of you driven mad by the aspect ratio in David Lowery's A Ghost Story are probably in for a bad time, which sucks for you). This is a refreshing thing to see in the brave year of our lord 2019, particularly after the shiny, sugary bombast of the summer movie season.

The-Lighthouse-Poster_1200_1778_81_s.jpg

This will be an interest test for those questioning the Batman casting.

BUSINESS INSIDER: Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe spiral into madness in the fantastic horror movie 'The Lighthouse'

Each wants the light, but only one can be mad enough to get it.

Robert Eggers' new movie, "The Lighthouse," the follow-up to his acclaimed 2015 debut feature, "The Witch," shows just how talented this writer-director is — and how twisted his mind is. The movie, which stars Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe, is set in 1890s New England and follows two lighthouse keepers as they tend to a lighthouse on a remote island. But soon the isolation from the rest of the world makes the two become mad.

Shot in striking black and white — making the movie even creepier — "The Lighthouse" is a triumph in filmmaking. From the camera movements to the lighting, production design, directing, and acting, it's a complexly orchestrated exploration into insanity disguised as a chamber piece.

Throughout, though, Eggers, Pattinson, and Dafoe's talents shine. The movie is beautifully crafted and acted. And it's very impressive that Pattinson has the acting chops to keep up with Dafoe in the crazy department.

"The Lighthouse" is a sea tale come to life. And like many of those tall tales sailors passed down through generations, they are really examinations of how fragile the human psyche is.

In his follow-up to The Witch, Robert Eggers returns with a twist on the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, a tale of two shackled-up Lighthouse keepers and their descent into madness. Almost Hitchcockian, Eggers’ presentation in his creation of characters, framing and composition all scream of a director in complete and utter control of his craft. The Lighthouse is a mythical gripping nightmare that may just be one of cinema’s best in a long time.

Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson give relentlessly passionate and stirringly psychotic performances, losing themselves in Eggers’ peculiar nightmare-induced Shakespearean mariner tale. Slowly calculated and controlled, the descent seen in the minds of the characters is fantastically reflected in the film’s scorching sound design, Hitchcockian visuals and drastic actions.

The Lighthouse is Robert Egger’s masterpiece of mythic quality. Dafoe and Pattinson deliver preposterously fanastic performances, it is one of the greatest achievements in cinema this year and is an unstoppable force of dark and maddening confinement. I cannot stop thinking about the film, even hours after watching, the impact remains.

5/5 Stars ★★★★★

i was lucky enough to see a screening where dafoe, pattinson and the director all came and spoke after. heres a lousy photo of them. loved the film! super dark and creepy, like the witch, but without a hot young woman in the leading role. pattinson said he was very nervous about doing a good job because everyone knows that Dafoe is going to bring it, so he felt alot of pressure to do well. and he really does a great job in the film. 

IMG_8253.jpg

I tried this film last night. There is definitely a nice callback to the old Horror or Mystery films of old.

But I had to bail when the story started degrading to two guys 'satisfying their needs' individually to convey they were very troubled at a point. :eek:

Maybe one day I will go back to watch it.