• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can sharpie/pen on the cover be removed?

6 posts in this topic

I have a copy of Peter Porker Spider-Ham #1 I've had since I was a kid.

I live in Australia and Aussie newsagents had a nasty habit of crossing out American prices and writing their own on comic covers 

(NOTE the sharpie top right '90c', the price crossed off and the pen in the top left hand corner saying 'Dec').

My question is : Should I bother trying to remove it for CGC grading? Just keep it as is?

peterporker.jpg

Edited by Glenn Misztal

Welcome To The Boards!!!

IMO...Leave it alone, cleaning would be considered "restoration" and is probably extremely costly, IMO the writing on the cover by a newsagent for resale is part of the history of the book and gives the book "character".

If this is common practice for "Aussie Newsagents" it may be treated the same as a "written arrival date" (which is also part of a books history and allowed by CGC) or it will come back as saying "writing on cover", you can contact CGC to see what they say.

I "assume" you are getting it graded for sentimental reasons and wish to have it protected, if this is the case be aware that a CGC slab does not offer any more protection than a Mylite and Acid Free Board when both are stored properly other than in a slab it can never be touched again. 

If you are looking to display the book then Yes, it looks better in an official CGC slab with official labels and grading, either way the book needs to kept away from UV light, moisture, heat sources, etc.

Hope this helped you in making a decision and Enjoy Your Book!!!

18 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

Welcome To The Boards!!!

IMO...Leave it alone, cleaning would be considered "restoration" and is probably extremely costly, IMO the writing on the cover by a newsagent for resale is part of the history of the book and gives the book "character".

If this is common practice for "Aussie Newsagents" it may be treated the same as a "written arrival date" (which is also part of a books history and allowed by CGC) or it will come back as saying "writing on cover", you can contact CGC to see what they say.

I "assume" you are getting it graded for sentimental reasons and wish to have it protected, if this is the case be aware that a CGC slab does not offer any more protection than a Mylite and Acid Free Board when both are stored properly other than in a slab it can never be touched again. 

If you are looking to display the book then Yes, it looks better in an official CGC slab with official labels and grading, either way the book needs to kept away from UV light, moisture, heat sources, etc.

Hope this helped you in making a decision and Enjoy Your Book!!!

this exactly 

I also recommend taking the book out of the mylar bag, taking a better picture straight on and posting it front and back in the "please grade my" forum to get a consensus of the books grade.

From a glance at what I can see it looks like the book has some stains on it, and with the ink blacking out the price, I am not sure the book would grade that high.

Edited by Artboy99

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 12:00 AM, Glenn Misztal said:

I have a copy of Peter Porker Spider-Ham #1 I've had since I was a kid.

I live in Australia and Aussie newsagents had a nasty habit of crossing out American prices and writing their own on comic covers 

(NOTE the sharpie top right '90c', the price crossed off and the pen in the top left hand corner saying 'Dec').

My question is : Should I bother trying to remove it for CGC grading? Just keep it as is?

peterporker.jpg

Of course you or anyone is welcome to submit any books they want to CGC for any reason, and everyone is has different collection/financial preferences here, no judgment here.  But if you haven't already, perhaps you should consider a cost/benefit analysis before submitting this comic from AUSTRALIA to CGC.

Good luck