• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Grading Company! CGG!!

187 posts in this topic

I'd think the same thing, but the auctions went online on March 30.

Plus, even if it is a joke, another company will be joining the party, so we'll have to do this again real soon.

I'm not sure if this is a real company or not, but if it is, then I am pretty sure that there will be a third company showing up in the next couple of months.

One with high profile people running it, and there will be a lot of advertising it.

Do tell!! wink.gif Sounds like you know something we don't?

I've often wondered what Gary Carter has been up to since relinquishing the editorial reigns of the CBM (which was not a good thing if you ask me)...

I don't know, it looks to me like they simply seal the top of a Mylar and stick their label up there (on the inside?). I would seriously doubt they have anything comparable to CGC's case.

Pov - are they going to be at Wondercon, or were they just advertising Wondercon??

Have you even looked at the case? It looks like a complete knock off of CGC's case. Down to the label (reversed style). In their FAQ's they even go so far as to say they have a two chambered case that has posts. Further on down it states that if you open the case or the posts are broken you void the grading. To go EVEN further they state they will be selling single cases to individuals for their comics. That is just an empty case. Take a look and read.

-Jeremy-

Duping the case is a no-brainer, as there are only so many shapes that a plastic comic-shaped case can have. grin.gif

The CGC-like label is a dumb move, as it's boring as heck and a company could easily spice it up and make CGC's look as hip as an old B&W photo.

I don't know, it looks to me like they simply seal the top of a Mylar and stick their label up there (on the inside?). I would seriously doubt they have anything comparable to CGC's case.

It seems they may. They make reference to an inner and outer case. More telling is this from theior FAQ:

Q: If I choose to take the book out of the holder, is the certification still valid?

A: Once the comic book is taken out of the holder, or the corner posts on the holder are broken the certification is no longer valid. (it goes on from here but note corner post reference).

And dagnabbit you're right - looks like they are advertising the cons - not necessarily BEING there. d'oh.

I read the entire thread over and Joe and BronzeBruce both have points I can agree on.

It just seems that if this company is and wants to be respected as a viable third party grading alternative to CGC, they would have done things a bit differently like:

Come up with advertising - in Wizard, CBG, in online sites from local/national dealers

Do not come out publically with a 20% finished website. It is just reflects poorly on your business.

Get a respected comic seller on ebay with a good long list of comic related feedback to sell their items.

Omit the keyword spam and CGC bashing from their auctions. Add bigger screenshots.

Provide more info about their grading standards (or at least why they are more stringent/looser than CGC's), quality of materials used and concerns for conservation of comics.

They may offer cheaper modern grading to try and take away CGC's cash cow. But this all just seems like "Let's get the money first, and worry about the rest later...)

Look at the books graded thus far - even the users did not trust their Modern keys to this service. I don't see anything from these hype hot issues: Hulk 340, and ASM 300, a Wolverine LS 1-4, Batman 608-612, Origin 1-6, USM 1,5,13,33-38, 30 Days of Night 1-3 and tons more...

the common ASMs and X-men that they have graded are "commonly" found in dealer overstock and hoards in around true NEAR MINT condition, so this new company is not saying much by grading them out at 9.2 - 9.6. The "Elite High Grades 9.8 - 10.0" is the pudding that the proof is in. Like I said before, because this is what CGC Modern collectors are paying relatively big bucks for, if CGG has comparable product in those grades, then it can be a boon to the collector community to add a true competitor and not another fly-by-night grading service.

Have you even looked at the case?

No, I didn't see an actual picture of the case anywhere, and the pix on their website (as well as the ones on ebay) look like nothing more than Mylars. The "interior and exterior" holder are referred to in the "Coming Soon" section...please post a pic (or link) of the case if you have one!!

Here's what they say about it currently:

"The CGG Holder consist of a holder that the comic book is sealed inside of, along with 2 sheets of our special paper designed to absorb the gases the paper of the book puts off, and the label containing all pertinent information about the book, along with the books reference number, sealed in the top portion of the holder above the book itself. Check out our Coming Soon section to read about our new outer holder that is on its way towards reality."

>>No, I didn't see an actual picture of the case anywhere, and the pix on their website (as well as the ones on ebay) look like nothing more than Mylars.

Look closer. Unless they're manipulating images, there is a plastic casing and a clearly defined inner well.

Does anyone have any high-res scans that we could take a closer look? I hope this isn't a scam, as competition is always a good thing. You'd think a real contender would have a high res scan of the holder on the site, wouldn't you?

Looking closely...okay, I see the "wedge" on the bottom...looks like the "inner well" of a CGC case to me.

As quoted above from their website, it doesn't sound like the outer holder/hardshell case is reality yet (which would be the capital intensive part of the operation). Maybe they bought all those "turtle shells" and are sticking their books in 'em! wink.gif

Anyhow, we'll be looking for a full report on the physical construction of these in about 2-3 weeks...I may even have to buy one of the McFarlane Spidey just to check it out, and I know your ebay ID so no sniping!! shocked.gif

I guess I'll be the 1st one to say I'll be sending them some books just to see how they are compared to what I have graded now. Can't hurt to find out.

I've already talked to one of thier graders. Sounds like they are on the up-n-up.

Doesn't mean I've given up on CGC. Just checking out alternatives.