• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legion vs New XMen question...

23 posts in this topic

Timber Wolf was first introduced back in Adventure 327,around 1965,give or take year.

I believe he was first called Lone Wolf,which didn't make a great dal of sense for a member of a team.BTW-My CGC fantasy baseball team is named in his honor.

He was prety much just a super-powered acrobat that was on the fringes of the Legion,didn't get much space.

In the early 70s,he evolved into a fiercer,less human appearing character,and gained more play.

The evolved Timber Wolf may have been partially responsible for Cockrums Wolverine,as when the X-Men fought The Imperial Guard,Wolvie faced off with Fang,who was the Marvel Universe doppleganger of TimberWolf.

I think that was the idea-- Lone Wolf was an outsider. When he joined the team he changed his name to Timber Wolf. That would have been towards the end of Shooter's initial run on the strip. At that point he was still drawn as a completely human-looking Caucasian.

In Superboy 197, he "returned" from some dimensional exile (none of the fans knew he was ever supposed to be missing). Cockrum drew him as a pointy-haired, vaguely feral alien. There was no explanation for his changed appearance, though the letter column writers speculated he had been warped by his stay in that other dimension.

Superboy 197 was a good year before Hulk 181, and a year and a half before GSXM #1.

when the X-Men fought The Imperial Guard,Wolvie faced off with Fang,who was the Marvel Universe doppleganger of TimberWolf.

The Imperial Guard was where you could really see Cockrum's Legion influence showing.