• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

would you crack a holder for a maybe half grade more?

36 posts in this topic

I would if you seriously feel you got screwed on the grade, and that it's a solid higher grade. I'm a 9.4 or better collector so when I get 9.2's back I dump them, unless I think CGC is nuts then I may resubmit if the book is worth it..if we're talking about like a 20 dollar diff then I'd dump the 9.2 and get the 9.6. I will be actually resubmitting my Hulk 181 9.4 later on in hopes of a 9.6. If you feel the book inside the slab is better then the grade, first you want to get the grader's notes to see if there's anything they have that you can't see..or maybe if it's really solid and they are saying there's like a date stamp but there really isn't that would be a good reason to resubmit cause everyone makes mistakes.

Brian

first you want to get the grader's notes to see if there's anything they have that you can't see..or maybe if it's really solid and they are saying there's like a date stamp but there really isn't that would be a good reason to resubmit cause everyone makes mistakes.

Be guided by what Murph says!

Good advice so far.

Don't crack the slab before you call CGC for the detailed grading notes. I have seen a lot of VF books that look like a higher grade through the slab, but once removed tell a different story.

For example Gorgo from the forum has many books that look every bit a VF/NM through the CGC slab but have grades varying from 6.0 - 8.0.

Often these kind of grading differences can be caused by things you can't see through the slab like reduced cover gloss and tanning.

Who is to say that CGC does it on purpose that you submit a high quality comic and you get back a book you think should be higher.Then you think ha.. maybe resubmit and you reach nirvana with a higher grade.Each sides win ,you get your grade pushed up and they get more of your money.....nice system to make more money. grin.gifcrazy.gif

A very bad old joke - Why is a prostitute better off than a drug dealer? A prostitute can wash her crack and use it again! As far as cracking out books to get a higher grade? I guess if you are like momma's trust fund boy and only collect 9.4s or whatever or have some sort of obsessive /compulsive disorder like some other high grade collectors on here then by all means. but resubbing for a very minor increase makes no sense - why resub at all? Keep it unslabbed if you think your own grading is all that great. A .5 increase below 9.0 means very little value wise on resale. We all know how hard it is live with the less than the best puny 9.2s and under when there is such a visible and observable difference in .2 or .4 more better according to the expert graders at cgc.

Clobberin', I LOVE that joke!! We all do, up here!!! It was always a big mystery to the "boys" and me as to what really goes on behind closed door, Judge's chambers conferences!! Now we know. Legal, joke-jargon!! Hey, keep em' laughing and keep those Not Guiltys rolling in!! GREAT strategy! I'm going to try that one the next time I get a speeding ticket for going 8200 parsecs per second in a 5500 parsec zone!!

For a guy I didn't think I was going to like very much, I have to say we come from the same paranoid end of the world. I wonder more and more every day about CGC's ulterior motives. flamed.gif

I did too once. But after awhile you get used to it and it doesn't bother you anymore. grin.gif

I would if you seriously feel you got screwed on the grade, and that it's a solid higher grade. I'm a 9.4 or better collector so when I get 9.2's back I dump them, unless I think CGC is nuts then I may resubmit if the book is worth it..if we're talking about like a 20 dollar diff then I'd dump the 9.2 and get the 9.6. I will be actually resubmitting my Hulk 181 9.4 later on in hopes of a 9.6. If you feel the book inside the slab is better then the grade, first you want to get the grader's notes to see if there's anything they have that you can't see..or maybe if it's really solid and they are saying there's like a date stamp but there really isn't that would be a good reason to resubmit cause everyone makes mistakes.

Brian

Have you ever actualy done this and gotten back a higher grade?...and do you let them know this is a resubmitt?...or do you just send it in over??

blush.gif

Quiet...they may be listening right now!!!!...CGC graders are the most fair, honest and knowledable people in our business...and I'm not just saying this cause I'm wating on like 30 books to be returned. 893whatthe.gif

3 times, I just send the book back in it's case. That way I don't have to mess with trying to get the damned thing out of there. 2 of 3 times it came back higher. But those 2 were obvious undergrades.

Brian