• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distro Marks on Comics

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys!, 

Im new to the forum but I have something that has been bothering me. I recently purchased an Amazing Spiderman #129, now I know this is a sought after key issue but I paid $1000.00 for it raw. While I was looking over the book and determining if it was worth paying that,  I discovered that there was blue ink on the bottom of the comic marking the pages. Afraid that I wouldn't run into this comic again i made the purchase against some voice in my head screaming. Aside from the marks on the comic, it looks to me as though it could be graded at an 8.0 or better but again that's just based on opinion. After doing some research I figured out that these are considered distributor marks and are used from the distributor to mark certain batches of comics to identify area or otherwise depending on the distributor. I am planning to have this comic graded but despite the possible loss of money if I ever sell it I would just like to know if I overpaid or if this comic was even worth my time? I asked the shop owner who sold it to me and rather than offer me an explanation of what they were before my own research, he explained "all comics have that" which leads me to believe he didn't care and just wanted me to buy an expensive issue. My experience up to now as far as the comic industry doesn't go beyond the avid superhero fan but I'm trying to broaden my knowledge and have become more and more interested in gathering knowledge to not only build my collection, but buy/sell comics without being taken advantage of. Any information anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

J. 

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Distributor Ink is not a defect and will not affect a book in the VF 8.0 range. 

From what I am seeing in eBay sold items the average selling price for a VF 8.0 raw is in the area you paid.

My suggestion would be to take photo's of the entire book, front and back cover with close ups of the spine, edges and distributor ink and open a thread in the "Hey Buddy, Can You Spare A Grade Section.

Distributor Stripes - Color brushed or sprayed on the edges of comic book stacks by the distributor/wholesaler to code them for expedient exchange at the sales racks. Typical colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Distributor Stripes are not a defect

12 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Distributor Ink is not a defect and will not affect a book in the VF 8.0 range. 

From what I am seeing in eBay sold items the average selling price for a VF 8.0 raw is in the area you paid.

My suggestion would be to take photo's of the entire book, front and back cover with close ups of the spine, edges and distributor ink and open a thread in the "Hey Buddy, Can You Spare A Grade Section.

Distributor Stripes - Color brushed or sprayed on the edges of comic book stacks by the distributor/wholesaler to code them for expedient exchange at the sales racks. Typical colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Distributor Stripes are not a defect

This exactly again.. 

a graded 8.0 blue label goes for in that range US so I would say you didn't over pay as to grade it with fees and stuff you might be at the GPA price (gpa shows graded book sales) that's if it is a 8.0 

image.thumb.png.df61793affd73fcd7a45163ad9067ac2.png