• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney's PLANET OF THE APES directed by Wes Ball (TBD)
1 1

57 posts in this topic

Went into the theater to see this with high expectations and was pleasantly surprised. I’m a lifelong fan of the original movies. While liking some of the new franchise movies more than others, I’m more interested in the future storylines where the apes are already established as the ruling class. So this movie was right up my alley.

The good:

The scenery and settings of the old city ruins were spectacular. 

Liked how they reinforced that the orangutans are more scholarly and the gorillas are more militant.

Some decent nods to the original movies with the soundtrack, scarecrows and the baby doll.

The bad:

Very CGI heavy. Like Avatar, I realized this going in and not necessarily bad, but at times was thinking there’s like only 2 real actors we see in this movie.

The movie did not close on a big “Oh, that’s cool!” moment for me. Nova turns out to be more than what she seems but the payoff was not that spectacular for me.

All seven of us that went enjoyed the movie. We did all agreed on some of the shortcomings and ridiculous moments though. Overall it was decently entertaining and a good steppingstone in the franchise.

On 5/11/2024 at 8:48 AM, Jayman said:

Went into the theater to see this with high expectations and was pleasantly surprised. I’m a lifelong fan of the original movies. While liking some of the new franchise movies more than others, I’m more interested in the future storylines where the apes are already established as the ruling class. So this movie was right up my alley.

The good:

The scenery and settings of the old city ruins were spectacular. 

Liked how they reinforced that the orangutans are more scholarly and the gorillas are more militant.

Some decent nods to the original movies with the soundtrack, scarecrows and the baby doll.

The bad:

Very CGI heavy. Like Avatar, I realized this going in and not necessarily bad, but at times was thinking there’s like only 2 real actors we see in this movie.

The movie did not close on a big “Oh, that’s cool!” moment for me. Nova turns out to be more than what she seems but the payoff was not that spectacular for me.

All seven of us that went enjoyed the movie. We did all agreed on some of the shortcomings and ridiculous moments though. Overall it was decently entertaining and a good steppingstone in the franchise.

I was a bit disappointed that they didn't jump far enough into the future where the apes have a more developed civilization. I was hoping they'd get to within 300 years of the timeliness for the 1968 original and have perhaps more reference to the mars astronauts that they lost contact with from the first movie.

Overall I considered it meh a B.

On 5/11/2024 at 8:48 AM, Jayman said:

The bad:

I also enjoyed this movie, but I really feel what you are saying here.  I would go so far as to state my opinion that the way this movie ended is the entire reason it got kind of a flat "cinemascore." 

It's not "bad," but it is kind of...flat.  

Otherwise, movie has a lot going for it.