• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First look at Conan
1 1

25 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, circumstances said:

Westy, that Queen of the Black Coast cover from May, 1934 is his first cover appearance ever.

The Hour of the Dragon was second, this is his third and last:

wt834.jpg

Thanks!   This is so fascinating to me. His early appearances make him look more civilized and almost Roman.  Then he seemed to take on a more British Nobleman/Carl from Accounting appearance.  Seems like Smith was influenced by Frazetta and the de Camp covers.  Thanks to all who shared.  

I have always admired how 40 years after the first illustration, my favorite renderings of the stories by Buscema/Alcala use the same cross hatch technique for the backgrounds to give them an ancient feel. Look at the stone wall in the original Wilcox drawing and this one from SSOC.

alcala.jpg

I’m guessing few (if any) of the early artists actually read the REH stories. 

If I had never seen a Conan drawing in my life and picked up one of REH’s stories to read for the first time I would not imagine him as the above in early depictions. 

I think that’s at least part of the reason I was drawn to the Barry Smith version vs others. The character was a brute and wild at times but not a dumb brute which is how I saw the Animal like Frazetta drawings. The character in his time period was a tough, wild, badass but he was appealing enough to get the girls at times. He also had a good degree of smarts to get himself out of some really tight spots. A lot of the “puffed up” drawings of the character make him look just dumb and smelly...

Edited by N e r V

Wow, I always thought Schwarzenegger was too big for his role.  This picture gives me pause.   IMHO Conan is not muscle-bound but more like a strong gymnast  (picture the rings exercise). Or maybe like Tarzan.   Speed and power., not just power 

2 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

img322d.jpg

46 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Wow, I always thought Schwarzenegger was too big for his role.  This picture gives me pause.   IMHO Conan is not muscle-bound but more like a strong gymnast  (picture the rings exercise). Or maybe like Tarzan.   Speed and power., not just power 

I actually love all the Frazetta Conan covers. They are classic and finally got us closer to what the character might look like vs the old “movie star” or “Roman” appearance he had prior in many cases. I just always felt the Frazetta look was more “muscle bound”. I did appreciate the wild flare he gave to his covers. I just imagined/thought the character seemed a bit more nimble in the stories. Maybe if REH had lived longer he could have given us a better picture of how he saw Conan in pictures.

Arnold too, though not how I pictured Conan exactly was good in the first picture at least.

Its probably unrealistic to ever expect any future Conan movie to capture the look or the lyrical nature of some of the stories...