• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signed books sealed with a COA

3 posts in this topic

Hello.  Please excuse me if this question has been answered previously.  I have a question and I cannot find where in the FAQs it is expressly answered.  The closest I can find is " signed under the direct observation of a CGC employee or a select CGC authorized witness, or in select instances where CGC accepted signed books directly from the signer / publisher. "  But what qualifies as "select instances".  I assume it means exactly how it sounds; that the book comes directly from signer/publisher - not from a 3rd party like a buyer.    For example, I have a Campbell signature in a sealed bag and it's COA with this special sticker.  A friend told me not to open it because he KNOWS that "CGC accepts signatures for SS qualification when it is sealed like this".  I do not actually believe this; I believe it would receive a green label if graded.  Or is this one of the "select instances".  I would appreciate it if someone would settle this discussion.  Thanks a whole heap!

asm14J_3.JPG

Books with a "Certificate of Authenticity" through a third party would receive a green label. The "select instances" are when signers submit the comic directly to CGC themselves, with the proper paperwork filled in. An example of this would be the "sketch opps" that occasionally come up on the boards.  A facilitator arranges for an artist to sketch on blank cover variants, the artist submits the blanks to CGC with paperwork including an affidavit, the books get slabbed with yellow labels, and then returned to the facilitator for distribution to the customers. There was no witness, but the chain of custody is maintained.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 12:30 PM, Darksoul said:

Hello.  Please excuse me if this question has been answered previously.  I have a question and I cannot find where in the FAQs it is expressly answered.  The closest I can find is " signed under the direct observation of a CGC employee or a select CGC authorized witness, or in select instances where CGC accepted signed books directly from the signer / publisher. "  But what qualifies as "select instances".  I assume it means exactly how it sounds; that the book comes directly from signer/publisher - not from a 3rd party like a buyer.    For example, I have a Campbell signature in a sealed bag and it's COA with this special sticker.  A friend told me not to open it because he KNOWS that "CGC accepts signatures for SS qualification when it is sealed like this".  I do not actually believe this; I believe it would receive a green label if graded.  Or is this one of the "select instances".  I would appreciate it if someone would settle this discussion.  Thanks a whole heap!

asm14J_3.JPG

Select instances are pre-arranged special opportunities usually arranged between CGC, the creator, and the publisher, where the book isn't released to the public in any form prior to the signing and submission to CGC, and the writer signs and submits them to CGC directly, with a whole host of extra paperwork and affidavits.

So if you are J Scott Campbell (or possibly his attached Siamese twin and the book has never left his possession) and you've jumped through some specific hoops, there's a chance this book might qualify.  If you are not, there is zero chance this gets CGC SS.