• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auction Scan Accuracy

6 posts in this topic

I'm not sure how to approach this ethically, but there's currently an auction underway that has several books I'm interested in, but their cover scans are... tempering my enthusiasm.  The whites on the covers all look yellowy and dingy, maybe tanned, almost like they were laying out in the home of a life long smoker.  I'm wondering if these are just a bad scans or if the scans are accurate.  Note that the PQ on these books is OW or W/OW  What I usually base color and tonal accuracy on is the color quality of the grade label.  In this instance the labels look lovely which leads me to think the books aren't so pretty.  I would appreciate some more experienced opinions before I commit to bids.  Thanks!  And I hope posting a book listed on an auction site isn't against board protocol- I've edited out some of the identifying information...

Edit- I just compared these posted images to the ones on the auction site, and for some reason these posted darker.  So while the auction images are dim and yellow looking as I indicated, they are not this dark.

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 2.49.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 3.06.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 3.08.23 PM.png

Edited by Black Bat

Thanks!  I’d be excited If the beware and horrors were as colorful. The auction companies could place a small photographers exposure chip alongside the books for the photos. We could then color correct the image if necessary to get a much more accurate representation of the colors. For the prices we pay it seems it would be easily worth the time and effort.