• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corner bend with pic

9 posts in this topic

I took the least flattering side-light pic I could - this was deliberate so you can see everything.

On normal viewing in normal light you can't see these creases at all - you have to angle it into the light.  The book in the hand looks like an 8.5 at least.

No colour break.

So my question is:  presuming starting from a 10 what would these ceases bring it down to if the only defect.

Also would pro graders subject a book to harsh direct natural light in this way..?

thanks in advance

DSCF3332.JPG

7 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I recommend you post images of the entire front and the back so the users of this forum can give you the best advice.

Personally I can see more defects in this picture than just that corner bend.

Cheers.  Yes there are a few defects but I'm really only interested in that type of corner bend.  I'm not asking folks to grade this book.

Apart from the bend I'm wondering about the other dings - would a grader usually look at a book under such harsh light..?  Do they side light books..?  The reason I'm asking is I think if all books were graded like this then a lot would presumably score lower..?  Obviously not a pristine book but anything thats been mildly handled or read I would expect a level of wear that normal handling would not pick up..?  Or factory defects..?

2 hours ago, mike devon said:

Cheers.  Yes there are a few defects but I'm really only interested in that type of corner bend.  I'm not asking folks to grade this book.

Apart from the bend I'm wondering about the other dings - would a grader usually look at a book under such harsh light..?  Do they side light books..?  The reason I'm asking is I think if all books were graded like this then a lot would presumably score lower..?  Obviously not a pristine book but anything thats been mildly handled or read I would expect a level of wear that normal handling would not pick up..?  Or factory defects..?

Pretty sure a grader would inspect it very carefully using the optimal lighting to pick up those imperfections just for that reason. Just because it’s not easily spotted doesn’t mean it’s not there and the goal is letting you know how close/far a book is from perfect and preserve it and a lot of books do score lower than what the person submitting it expected

18 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

Pretty sure a grader would inspect it very carefully using the optimal lighting to pick up those imperfections just for that reason. Just because it’s not easily spotted doesn’t mean it’s not there and the goal is letting you know how close/far a book is from perfect and preserve it and a lot of books do score lower than what the person submitting it expected

Sure - except I can't remember ever seeing surface fluctations - or whatever you'd call an artifact that isn't a crease or a ding/dent - on a description.  Its always other mechanical issues.  'Book lies flat' - would that cover it..?

Also factory/handling artifacts - I'm not sure how easy it is all this time later to tell those apart from wear.  Except if you've seen the same book repeatedly with the same damage.

On a Spidey 121 level of book its not that crucial is it.  An apparent 8.5 may turn out to be a 7 or 7.5 - not the end of the world but on higher value books it really matters.

Its making me really wary - although I guess with ebay you can return it but it seems potentially like a lot of hassle taking a punt on conditions.

33 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

solve your worrys by buying cgc graded books. Then you know what you are getting isnt restored.

Yeah seems like it although its not even restoration it just accurate descriptions - ofc CGC solves that problem too.

1 hour ago, mike devon said:

Yeah seems like it although its not even restoration it just accurate descriptions - ofc CGC solves that problem too.

less reputable online sellers have been taking advantage of online buyers since online buying started.